ch. 1 : a worrying carnival

Blake was not the best at confronting her problems. When confronted by Adam, she ran. When she accidentally let her past slip to those who might just be her friends, she ran. Even her semblance was based on the her running from her problems. And every time she ran, she regretted it, but could never bring herself to go back. Maybe this time was different. She could take a break for a day, then go back to her team's dorm and just sit down and explain. And then everything would be better. Right? Right.

And then Sun showed up. And bugged her. And annoyed her. And was just being a general nuisance, ruining her brooding tim- I mean peace.

And that's why, when he went out to get them some most likely stolen food, she just went for a walk around Vale. Maybe it would give her enough of a break from everything to let her gather enough courage to go and confront her team.

At least, that was the thought. Because now she stood in front of what was quite possibly the eeriest circus tent she had ever seen. The two towering beasts near the door didn't help either. Especially with how their heads swiveled to watch her as she moved. But she decided that this was a perfect time for her to test her resolve and strengthen her courage. And make sure that there wasn't anything even more sinister being hidden beneath this tent's already sinister appearance.

As she approached the entrance, she glanced backwards towards a happy sign that read "From Dust Till Dawn" and the man behind the counter watching her with worry. Turning back around, she finally took in the fact that the very entrance to this pavilion eerily resembled the souls of the damned, screaming eternally for rest they cannot find. And only then did she notice the faint tune of an accordion's song.

Once she was inside, the haunting song grew louder as the musician finally came into view. And the song became the least of her worries when she saw what she could only assume was some form of faunus. What stood before her was the hulking frame of the performer. The most startling features being the black horns that adorned his head and the frightening oval shaped white mask, the eyes of which had black lines struck straight through them.

Finally mustering enough determination to speak to the minstrel, she whimpered out a question.

"H-hello. Can you point me t-towards the main show?"

The music stopped. And as that figure hunched slightly to be closer to eye level with her, she shrunk back towards the welcoming shadows near the wall of the tent. Then finally the beast of a man answered in a voice that was in equal parts gravelly and smooth.

"Go deeper within, Master is waiting. Should you need my assistance in the future, my name is Brumm"

As he spoke, the now named Brumm gestured with his accordion deeper into the tent, to an area shrouded in shadows and emitting a faint crimson glow.

Slowly making her way towards where Brumm had pointed her, Blake shivered from the feeling of being watched by less than friendly eyes. And as she moved to what she could now see was a circus ring, she began to notice the masks that hung along all of the wall, seeming to want to draw her very soul into their eyes. If it wasn't activated before, the Blake brought it up now, preparing for whatever might attack her from the shadows.

As she reached the center of what was looking more and more like an arena, she felt the feeling of being watched intensify until the tune that could still be heard from behind her fell silent. She was almost going to call out when a thick red smoke began to rise from the ground and crimson spotlights swirled around the room, accompanied by the rejuvenation of Brumm's accordion. As the spotlights converged, Brumm's song grew to a crescendo and then fell silent once again.

"Well met, my friend. Well met. I am Grimm, master of this troupe."

The voice belonged to the figure that now stood before the wary faunus greeted.

"Our lantern has been lit, but none have come to begin the ritual. Until now. Care for the nightmare's child dear feline. Feed it this kingdom's flame, and in doing so claim your just reward."

And then, with a bow, he pressed a small pin into the bewildered girl's hand.

And as quickly as he came, Grimm vanished in a cherry colored puff of smoke, which was immediately followed by the return of Brumm's melody, beckoning for her to stay and listen for eternity.