Prologue

The villain

The villain walked through the woods, careful to keep his footsteps silent. With each step he prepared himself for what was to come.

Today would be the day that the Hero died by his hand.

The villain made it to the clearing, rearing up his power to fight the Hero. He looked around at the circle of grass surrounded by trees in confusion.

The Hero wasn't here.

He was nowhere to be found, not that the Villain's power could sense. As far as the Villain knew, the Hero hadn't been able to mask his presence the last time they met.

Suddenly, a twig snapped. The sound of a body falling came from across the clearing, and then the high-pitched cries of a child.

The Villain walked cautiously over to the sound. This could be a trap, or a distraction. What is he playing at?

The Villain knew that the Hero was a tricky, underhanded man. He knew that there were some things that the people didn't know about the Hero, and that the Hero wanted to keep it that way, no matter what.

Finally, the Villain made it to the other side of the clearing. He saw then what the Hero had done.

A child, small and covered in bruises, lay on the ground.

It was clear she had tripped over a log and fallen, and from the sound of her cries, she was more scared than hurt.

The Villain immediately felt protective of this child.

He kneeled beside her, whispering, "Are you alright, sweetheart?"

The child sniffled, wiping her tears away with a hand. "Yes."

The Villain looked around. There was something about the girls's eyes that reminded him of someone. It hit him with a blast of sharp clarity.

This was the Hero's daughter.

Two things were made clear to the Villain at that moment.

One: he could take this girl in, and raise her to hate her father. It would be the perfect way to spite the Hero for all he had done to him.

Two: this girl needed help. She had clearly been abused and needed someone.

The villain looked at the girl again with soft eyes. "How would you like to come with me?"

The girl looked up at him innocently. Her eyes were red. "Do you have cake?"

The Villain chuckled. "Yes, we have cake."

"Yes, please," she said.

The Villain scooped her up in his arms and carried her away from the clearing.

He would raise this child with the love she so clearly lacked in her life. And one day...

One day she would ruin the Hero.