-Chapter Three-

Of course I knew the familiar green door of Bell place Whitechapel but what intrigued me was the open door standing before us as we arrived there. Enola bravely opened the door and we walked over to the twenty- eighth number only to see the door was also cracked open as well. It looked to be distressed and when she poked through this door as well that is when things took a turn for the worse.

Many things were strewn about and there were both men and womens things in the apartment scattered about like there had been a search through the room.

Enola and I both turned abruptly however when we heard choked whimpers behind us. It was a horificly bloody scene on the bed and I knife was sticking upright in Mae's stomach.

"Mae!" I screamed as I climbed onto the bed avoiding the blood as I checked her pulse.

Enola was frantically whispering things to mae as she tried to stem the bleeding but it was no use as we were already past the point of saving the poor girl. But who could do such a thing and who knew Mae was involved in this. Could this person be after me as well because if they were it wouldn't be hard to find me at all.

"Enola." I said abruptly.

"What?" She asks me harshly as Mae becomes even more far gone.

"We can't save her she's too far gone." I said sadly as I removed my hand from her lulling neck.

"No we have to try." She said as she put pressure on the wound.

I saw as Mae made a last hint as she tapped her pocket and then went still. If I wanted to find out who was after Mae and potentially me and the others I would need enola. She was the one with a lead on this case and she was the one with evidence that could draw this back. I may also have information I can't share with enola willingly but I now knew if I was to remain safe and well informed of this then I had to stick with enola. Or at least keep an eye on her.

"Enola I think she has something in her pocket." I egged her on and enola quickly scrambled to find the note hidden in Mae's skirt.

She opened the paper with her bloodstained hands and read the title. 'the fall of the gods'. So this was the plan William had created. He was a wise boy but, as I read down the music, not very good at writing music either.

"Well I must say that piece looks rather boring." I remarked as she folded it up. There was a sharp clicking noise of a cane that rang through the air and enola frantically shoved the paper up her sleeve whilst I pulled out a chair and had a seat facing the door.

As to be expected someone entered the room but it was not the man with the cane, it was inspector lestrade, I likely place to meet someone like him when you are crossed with the misfortune of being seen at a crime. I should be fine since I didn't touch the blood or look like I was trying to go undercover like enola did. I couldn't blame her but the girl made mistakes and had to learn. What would I know about this detective thing however I'm just good with the law and bending it.

"What are you doing here lady crowe?" Lestrade asked.

"Pleasant seeing you here as well inspector. Did you bring lieutenant grail with you this time or did he bring you?" I asked and we both began laughing effectively distracting him.

"Always the funny girl you are but I came on my own accord and I must investigate what this girl has done this time." He said with a snarl as he turned his attention back to enola.

Just when he was about to speak the clicking noise stopped and the door cracked open to reveal grail and his possy behind him.

"Lady crowe pleasant seeing you here and who's this young lady?" Grail asked as he entered the room bringing along his unpleasant demeanor.

"Enola Holmes." She answered.

"His sister." Lestrade added.

"Give me the bag." He commanded and she hesitated before handing him the bag.

"What's this?" He questioned as he pulled out the poem.

"My evidence." She answered calmly though I was seeing right past it so I wondered who else was.

"And when did you arrive?" He continued to inquire.

"About ten past the hour."

"Odd, there were screams heard at about ten past the hour. The blood on the hands." Grail droned on like the men in the house of Lords.

"I was suppressing the blood." She explained trying to defend herself as she acted out the motion.

"Miss Holmes if you will kindly step out with us so that we may investigate further." Lestrade said but it was too late. Enola snatched her bag and jumped out the window.

"Well what are you on about go catch the bloody girl." Grail said as he hurried out of the room along with his men.

"Why were you here?" Lestrade asked me abruptly.

"I knew Mae, she was wise beyond her years and was a lovely friend to those who knew her." I said dodging his question for a sob story.

"It was to soon to see her go." He went along as we paid our respects.

"Do you need a word with me inspector?" I asked turning the conversation on him.

"Well I'm off to see Sherlock and give him word of his sister would you like to accompany me?"

"I would love to see my old friend. It's been too long." I answered politely rubbing in the fact that I, a seventeen year old, managed to become one of Sherlock's close friends before he could.

And so we were off in a carriage to visit 221 baker street.