Chapter 23. Forget Me Not

NOT PROOFREAD

May 28th Saturday

~3:10 am~

"This is your final warning, Park."

The line cut abruptly, leaving Sunoo with questions he shouldn't have in the first place.

He looks at the phone in his hand. It flashes back to the lock screen. The wallpaper, a picture of Hae snoozing in a very comfortable position. Endearing isn't it? But it's merely a distraction from the eerieness of the phone call seconds ago.

He reaches over to the bedside table, propping himself up slightly against the headboard of the bed, and places Sunghoon's phone right where it was before. If he was alone, he would not be able to get even a minute of sleep. But he is not alone. He's beside Sunghoon, whose hands are still tied loosely around his waist.

He moves closer to Sunghoon, planting a soft kiss on his forehead before snuggling closer. His head rests in the junction where Sunghoon's neck meets his broad shoulders with his hands wrapping around the older boy's waist. All the chills from before are washed away when Sunghoon, probably by instinct, shifts towards Sunoo. Like two puzzle pieces from an almost impossible puzzle, being the only ones that feel perfect.

~10:30 am~

Sunoo was walking over to his apartment, less than a block away when he sees something placed at his doorstep. A delivery, perhaps? He's not sure if he ordered something recently.

As he came closer, it looks more like a holder. A cardboard coffee holder. It had four slots, of which one of them had a to-go coffee cup in it. A tiny card, maybe three inches wide and four inches long, placed face-down on the lid of the coffee cup.

He picked it up and headed inside to see what it was about. The cup was still warm, which means that it was freshly kept, not more than five minutes ago.

He sat down on his couch and picked up the piece of paper.

It read:

I formally apologize.

- Y

It was written in a shabby manner. As though it was forced or the writer was not in the right mind while writing it. As if someone forced them to write. Someone who actually has good in mind.

That was not what he excepted to wake up to. It baffles him how a guy, who has verbally and physically abused him, was here in this 'letter' apologizing. He's certain it's Yeonjun 'cause he doesn't know anyone else who would need to apologize. Yeonjun has been out of sight since that night at the party. Maybe this explains why?

He thinks this must be a trap. A trick of some sort? Like the way people who wronged him earned his forgiveness in the past, only to break once more. He remembers vivid stories from his time at the orphanage. Though it's been years since being at that orphanage, he can still remember most of it. Memories of both Numbness and Negativity. He's glad he at least had a few good things going for him at the time. Keyword: A Few.

He sat there, reminiscing sweet memories of the time when his first tooth fell, cheers of caretakers surrounding 5-year-old Sunoo. He remembers the times when the smallest milestones were cherished by the Caretakers. But he still seemed to be despised by the other kids. And when he did make a friend or two, they would leave anyway.

His line of thought is interrupted by the buzzing of his phone in his pocket. It's Sunghoon on the other end.

"Did you get home?"