Chapter 24 - Movie Night

He froze for a moment, torn between leaping over and gathering her into a hug, and keeping his distance to make sure Gallie and the other Karkadda didn't have a reason to follow through on their threats. Luke's mouth opened, but he didn't know what to say, acutely aware of Deputy Addison's presence behind him.

Oaklynn turned her head; looked right at him.

She sat up sharply, eyes widening in surprise. "Luke?!"

"Err... hi," he said.

"Hi." She stood up, awkwardly straightening out her short black jacket and scooping a stray hair behind her ear with one hand. A nervy smile danced on her lips. "It's good to see you."

"You too." He cast an uneasy glance around. "Though I'm not sure what we're doing here."

"Me neither."

"Alright, take a seat," Addison told him firmly, giving him a prod in the direction of the chairs.

Giving her a stiff nod, he shuffled over to the seats and sat down. Oaklynn hesitated for a moment, then lowered herself into the chair beside him. They exchanged an uneasy glance before looking expectantly to the deputy for an explanation.

"Relax," Addison grunted as she turned to leave. "Nothing to worry about around here, just so long as you tell the truth."

That parting shot didn't make Luke feel much better and he jammed his hands together, fingers interlacing tightly until his knuckles whitened. The deputy strode off, footsteps being swallowed into the bustle of the police station and leaving them on their own outside Nalen's office. For a moment he was surprised, before he remembered the only way out was back through the bullpen. No-one was about to get up and walk away unnoticed.

"What do you think this is about?" Oaklynn asked quietly.

He turned to look at her in amazement. "That's all you've got to say to me?"

"But... I just-,"

"After everything?" Luke laughed, looking at the ceiling for inspiration. "I know we're not exactly on best friend terms, Oaklynn, but you could at least ask me how I'm doing."

"Ah." She squirmed, gripping the edge of her seat with both hands. "Sorry. You're right. How are you?"

"I'm managing." He flapped a hand at their surroundings. "Though I probably could have done without this."

"You're telling me."

"What about you? How's life in the herd?"

Her face darkened. "It's okay."

"Looked more than okay to me."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"I saw you and Kasper." He shrugged, trying to keep the venom out of his voice. "Just looked like you guys seem to be getting along better."

"I'm trying to make the best of it. Would you rather I was just miserable?"

"Of course not!" Luke blurted. "Never. I didn't mean it like that."

Oaklynn sighed; nodded. "I know it's tough. It's tough for me, too. You think I don't see you with your friends sometimes? Every time I see you I want to come and say hi, to talk, like we used to but..." She shook her head, looking at the floor. "If I did it would just remind us both of what we can't have."

"I get it." Luke leaned back, rubbing his eyes with both hands. "Well, doesn't look like we've got much choice but to talk now."

"So what do you think it's about?"