Moonless Night

"Hello?" she calls out in the dark room. "Is someone there?"

"Malykrie?" A soft voice says. A boy with sharp eyes and sharp ears steps out from behind the boxes. "What are you doing here?" She gives a soft gasp, stifling her scream as a cloak flutters from behind him and his fangs lengthen.

"It's the new moon," she replies, her eyelashes fluttering closed, and she falls forward. With inhuman speed, the boy blurs forward, catching and cradling her in his arms. "I can't be in the open right now. You know that."

"I also know that you know a new moon is the worst time to be around a vampire." He frowns down at her.

"I know," she says. Malykrie runs a finger down his chest, causing him to shiver and his eyes to become as dark as midnight as he gazes at her, a dark desire entering his eyes. She murmurs, "I can satiate your hunger, Val. I can handle it."

Val suddenly scoops her up and stands. "Well, since the night is dangerous, we should probably get somewhere safe." For the innocents. In moments, they're standing in a place, surrounded by tombstones.

"A graveyard," Malykrie scoffs. "Typical for a vampire." She slides out of his arms and walks to an eerie tree, its branches whistling a haunting melody. She bends down and pulls a root, revealing a portal inside the tree. She steps into the black and red swirling void can Val follows, the portal closing behind them and everything returning to as it once was.

She lands as quietly as a cat on the floor and he lands softly like a feather. He strides in front of her and informs the man in front of the desk. "I'll take the usual room, thank you."

The blond-haired and blue-eyed male raises his eyes. "A separate room for the lady or..?" His question hands in the air.

Val glances at Malykrie and replies coolly, "Same is fine. It's only for the new moon after all."

Malykrie leans against the counter, sneering. "What's a human doing in a place he clearly doesn't belong?"

He bites back, "Typical for one of the Wild to mistake the Royalty pack for a flesh being."

She pulls back, startled. "But your eyes?" They're not brown."

"Yet I turn every moon just like you."

Val nervously tugs on Malykrie's sleeve. "The night is approaching." A wolf howls far away, reverberating through the hotel's walls.

A shiver runs through her, chilling her to the bone. Val pulls closer to her protectively, his fingers interlacing through hers. "Come on," he whispers, nodding toward the blue-eyed werewolf. The man nods back, checking their names off the list.

Malykrie peers up the stairs. "How many floors are there?"

"Probably dozens," he responds, tugging her up the flight of stairs.

She stares at him with a ghastly expression. "How many do we need to go up?" And can't you just use your magic?"

Val shakes his head. "Magic doesn't work in the hotel. That's the whole point of why I come here. Plus, it's only like seven floors up."

"Only, he says. Only seven floors, he says," she grumbles.

"I could carry you, but I don't have my super strength," he offers.

Malykrie eyes him sidelong. "I'd rather not take that chance."

They walk up the rickety staircase in silence. After reaching the seventh floor, Val leads her to a solid silver and iron door at the very end of the hallway and unlocks it, stepping inside.