STARGAZING

"Ye see anythin', boss?" Barley asked, giving a side glance over to Charley.

While still listening, Charley kept his focus on the dark sky in front of him. Analyzing it. "No, not yet."

Edgar pointed at a small group of stars to his right. "Whadda 'bout those over there? Aint that the...uh..."

"No." Charley interrupted. "Almost looks like it, though." He didn't look away. Just kept staring.

The three were stargazing on the deck of the ship where they lived together. They had a decent view of the sky from where they were, due to them living away from the rest of the town where light wasn't as noticeable, although there could never be enough light in New York City. It was something Charley enjoyed, and this time, he brought his gang mates along to join him. The other two weren't as interested in stargazing as their leader, but they liked spending time with him, and it was an offer that was hard to turn down.

Barley nudged the man beside him on the arm. "Ay, aint that...whatsit called? Volos, right?" He said as a prideful smirk formed on his face. Charley rolled his eyes. "Volans. And no, that's in the south." Edgar snickered as he listened.

Charley had a particular interest in astronomy. It was one of the few things he was passionate in. He would express his interest to Barley and Edgar, and to Barley and Edgar only. They were the only people he felt that comfortable with. And usually, they'd be happy to listen no matter what.

Edgar squeaked and grabbed the man besides him by the arm, pointing to the left with his free hand. "Hey boss! I think I found something!" and Charley turned to look where the spider was pointing. Sure enough, he found a far-off constellation over them. "What's that one called?" He questioned as he tugged on the other man's arm a little, a wide smile across his face.

"Hm, it's kinda hard to tell." Charley responded with another smile. "Cancer, I think it is." He thought for a moment, then added, "Yeah, Cancer. That's what it is."

"Haha! Yeah! That's what I was thinkin'!" Edgar squeaked once more as he let go of his leader's arm, now resting his own on the railing. He turned his head to smile at Charley. "See? What would ya do without us?" He jokingly asked, followed by a smirk from Barley. This was responded with a slight snicker from Charley as he leaned onto the railing. Then without thinking, he muttered out a quiet, "I love you two."

Then silence. Silence that was almost deafening. He had only just realized what he said after a moment, then he didn't feel like saying anything else. Sure, it was true, but he wasn't planning on telling them that right now, all of the sudden. And he wasn't that good at expressing affection. None of them were.

Barley was the first one who decided to speak. "We love ye too, boss." Stated in a quieter tone, contrasting the sailor's usual loud voice. The other two didn't reply for a little more, staring off into space. The air between the three was growing more awkward.

"Do ya really mean that, boss?" Edgar asked, tapping his foot nervously. Charley didn't know what to say. He was afraid that whatever words he'd use would make it worse. This situation was already uncomfortable enough. But he felt like he was suffocating on this anxious tension, and he had to get something out.

He finally sighed and faced the spider, looking at him with a comforting expression and a dark shade of grey still on his face. "Of course. Why wouldn't I love ya knuckleheads?" He answered with a small laugh.

Edgar gave a nervous, but genuine and happy chuckle, which soon grew into a laugh. "I love yous two!" The other men laughed alongside him, the spider's adoring tone and overjoyed laughter lifting the nervous air between the gang. Of course, they were still nervous, though.

The laughter simmered down and it was back to silence, although now it felt more comfortable.

"You boys wanna go inside yet?" Charley asked after a small sigh.

"Nah. I wanna stay 'ere fer a little longer." Barley continued, "If you two wanna go in, though, then I wouldn't mind comin' in."

"I'm stayin'." Edgar stated.

Charley chuckled. "Alright, whatever you two want."