Chapter One

Saturday November 20, 2024
5:00 A.M
Good

My eyes open as I awake from my dream of a perfect life. I stare at my ceiling as I think about how today's going to be, take care of my sister, work, go to bed, and sleep, then repeat.

     I then hear my brother shifting in his bunk above me causing me to snap out of my thoughts. I then slowly and quietly get up and grab my clothes and walk to the bathroom quietly. As I pull up my pants I hear Gracie start crying so I pull my pants all the way up and quickly walk to my room and see her in her crib standing up crying.

    "Shhhh.'' I quieted the baby as I picked her up as she was still crying. I saw her  pacifier in the bed so I picked it up and placed it in her mouth and she quieted down a little. "Let's go change that diaper, huh?" I asked and she just stared at me with her blue eyes that shimmered up at me as I held her.

    I brought her to the bathroom and got a changing blanket that I had bought when she was first born. Once I finished changing her diaper and changed her clothes, i held her and brushed my teeth. When i finished i placed gracie on the floor. I then applied a little makeup and then I took Gracie back into my arms.

I went to the kitchen and placed Gracie in the cheap high chair grandma got for her when mom had thrown a baby shower. When i finished cooking my brothers came into the kitchen and took their plate and sat down on the couch that was close to the open kitchen. "Charlie, why don't you wake us up?" Mason asked and then paused.

"We could help you, you know." Trevor says finishing our brother's sentence. "Fine if you want to help so badly, then could you get dad's beer ready and mom's clothes out of the dryer and quietly place them into their room on her dresser." I say and my brothers nod and quickly eat and do what I said.

I then get my plate and Gracie's and I feed her as I eat mine. "WHY THE HELL ARE YOU IN HERE!?" I hear dad yell so I quickly get up and rush to my parents room. I see my dad headbutt my little brother,  I stare at them in shock, I then look over to where my mother usually is but she is not there.

"Trevor, come here." I say trying to sound calm, Trevor then quickly walks over to me. I then hear Mason run in and stand at the doorway. Not once did my eyes leave my fathers eyes. "Mason take Trevor to Harper's house right now and she will take care of him." I said as I stared at my father.

The thing about my father is that my mother ran away from him when Trevor was only six and me and Mason were eight. Mom had one other boyfriend who got put in jail for trying to kill our mother who stabbed him in self defense and he got more time when they found out that he had beaten me and my brothers.

When I turned 12 my mother and my father got back together since mom thought that boys needed their father. Which is a bunch of bullshit. I heard the front door shut. "Don't ever touch my brother again." I say as I stared enraged at my father. "Is my breakfast done?" he just simply asked. I just stared at him in disgust.

"The food looks delicious darling." my mother said as she came into the room. My father then stormed off into the kitchen to eat his breakfast. "Oh, Charlie, can you watch your sister today? My job called and said I need to go in." my mother asked. "Sure." I said and walked out to the kitchen, I walked over and picked up Gracie and then walked to the door and put her shoes on her and then put on my own.

I then placed her jacket on and then placed her on the ground. I then grabbed my jacket and put it on as well as my scarf and hat and then put on Gracie's scarf, hat, and mittens. I opened the door, but before i left i said,

"Careful with your food dad! I put a surprise in it!" i said and quickly shut the door and walked over to the stroller that i had put in harpers shed and got it out and placed Gracie in it and started to push her until i got to the small house that was in the backyard of harper's parents house and i knocked on the small houses door.

Harper, Mason, Trevor, Leo, Nick, Luke, Oliver, Ryan and I all raised money and built her a small house so she didn't need to interact with her parents who just drink all day or yell at her.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to be heading to work?" Harper asked when she opened the door.

"Yeah but I think the boys should go to the house until I get home." i say.

"Let me guess you pissed off your father again?" Harper asked and I nodded and we laughed. "I'll tell them." Harper says and I nodded. "Get to work before you're late!" she says and i laugh and push Gracie's stroller as i run to work.