Ch.8

Ji won pov:
We all sat around a large round table where we could talk about a plan. We sat in awkward silence waiting for Chan and Changbin to join us. Once they did they noticed the obvious distance between Taeil and my brothers and I.

"Sorry am I interrupting a family meeting?"

I glare at Changbin still not understanding why he was needed in this conversation.

"He is not our family. And what exactly is your importance here thief."

Taeil clenches his jaw and his eyes almost nearly stare holes into my skull. I almost smirk at the reaction my comment got from him.

"Funny how a life stealing spoiled little brat can label someone a thief."

His words seemed to have an underlying meaning to them. I didn't know what he meant by life stealing. Did something happen that made him label me this way?

"Oh looks like I struck a nerve. Are you sure you wa-"

before I could provoke him further Taeil slams his fists on the table.

"That's enough. We need to focus here."

Changbin took a seat next me slouching uninterested. Taeil then started to lay out a map to track our plan.

"Okay. This isn't going to be easy, but do you really want to run forever?"

Hendery bounced his leg anxiously as Taeil explained how dangerous it would be for us to fix our situation.

"The time gem is about a three day trip from here. The only major obstacle would be mirage island. It creates illusions fueled by your deepest fear. If you stay calm and don't panic the illusions will go away. If you let them get to you they only get worse keeping you trapped."

My eyes scan over my brothers thinking of the safest way to get us through this. I can't lose anymore of my family. Not now not ever. I wanted to suggest leaving Shotaro and Hendery on the ship seeing as they're easily stressed. I don't want them in danger. But we're all in this together and I can't exclude them from helping our family. I would just have to help them through this. He circled the island stating the gem would be on the far side of the island.

"Once we have the gem we can go back in time and make sure I don't exist."

I stare at Taeil in shock. Is he serious?? He looks pretty serious to me.

"You're insane! You think that's when our problems started?? No it started when you decided to leave!"

Chenle wasn't having any of this pity party and was prepared to tell him how ridiculous this was.

"What do you suggest then."

He was looking at Chenle for an answer but it was clear he didn't know how to respond. He really just didn't like the idea of him sacrificing himself.

"I don't know if anything could save us now. But if that's what you want we won't stop you. Just know that any bridges you're trying to mend with us are long gone."

Ten rises from his seat and exits the room swiftly as not to say anything else. He knew his thoughts could get him in trouble.

"That settles it then. We help you get this gem and you disappear from our lives for good."

Jeno was next to follow our brother. The rest started to follow but I stayed seated. Once they were all gone I stared Taeil in the eyes.

"I hope you know that whatever you do I'll never forgive you. And if you think that this helps us believe you care then you're wrong. Just running away from your problems like always right brother" 

I made sure to emphasize the word brother so that he got the hint. This idea of his was incredibly stupid. How could he claim that he loves us and that he's sorry if he's just going to leave us again. I guess it would be easier if we never knew him. I exit the meeting room but instead of following my brothers to our shared chambers I found myself on the deck looking out at the icy water.

"Well that sure was something. If I didn't know any better I'd say you hate eachother."

I sigh not wanting to deal with the pirate's attitude right now. Although some company would be nice. I wave him over without taking my eyes off the sea.

"What gave it away"

He chuckles not needing to answer my question.

"So what's your deal anyway. What did I do to make you hate me so much"

The question sounded more mocking that I meant it to. I was actually quite curious about the answer. He avoids my gaze as he picks at the splintered wood with his calloused fingers.

"Well it's not you in specific. Your family. They took my sister away. They tried her as an adult for treason because she was 17 and we had been smuggled in from the north. I was young so they left me in the care of an old lady. I always hated how privileged and spoiled you royal children are. You lived high and mighty while the rest of us worked day and night to sleep on the hard floor."

I listened intently and my heart ached with his words. Do our people really feel this way. I knew we had so much more than them and I'd always asked father to share our supplies but he refused stating we were of higher status. I wanted things to change for everyone but by the way Taeyong had started his rule it didn't look like I would get my wish.

"I'm sorry to hear about your sister. And your living conditions. I wish there was something I could have done."

He leaned back with an arrogant grin.

"I don't expect you to understand. Besides if you're that sorry you could always sleep in my bed"

I glared at him regretting my sympathy for him. Of course he always had to act like a pirate. I stood angrily and brushed past him before whispering lowly.

"Pervert"

I could hear his soft chuckles echoing behind me.

Mark pov:
I knock on Haechans door again only to recive another dry response. He's been like this since or siblings left. Without his cheerful attitude it was hard for the rest of us to stay in good spirits.

"Hyuck please. We'll find them eventually but for now we need you."

He swung open the door meeting me with a cold glare.

"Why is it always me? Mom died Donghyuck put on a smile, we're going to war Donghyuck distract us, the kingdom is falling apart Donghyuck hold us together. Im falling apart too. I can't keep wearing a smile to please everyone else. Please let me feel my emotions for once."

A single tear spilled from his already swollen eyes. The poor kid must have been crying all night. I pull him by his shoulders into a hug and pat his back calmingly.

"Im sorry. We're selfish. I guess we never realized how much our younger siblings suffered. We were so focused on our big responsibilities that we didn't see you had your own. Please forgive us before it's too late for you too"

I clutch him tighter feeling my own tears fall. How could we not notice how much they had to deal with. We aren't the only ones who had tasks that were slowly tearing us apart.

"I'm not leaving mark. I need this family as much as you need me. I just need to rest."

I pull from the hug and smile at him reassuringly. I softly pat his head.

"Get some rest little brother. You deserve it."

He sighed and let his tense shoulders fall.

"So do you."