Chapter 1

Maaran couldn't decide if he was annoyed or tired. He'd worked until 1 or 2 am treating patients, only to be woken up by his mother at 8 am, telling him a little boy who'd been his most frequent fix had once again hurt himself by...doing some stupid thing or another, Maaran was sure. But he knew he didn't have it in his heart to dislike the lively little boy. 

He washed his face with a sigh as he got ready for the day, jogging down to the main clinic to meet his favorite patient (don't tell anyone!) for the nth time. The boy was suspiciously quiet as Maaran tended to his sprained ankle, and the slightly worried ever curious doctor couldn't help but ask. 

"Ennachu da? Innikku ivlo silent-a irukka?" ("What happened? You're so quiet today?") His patient looked up at him with a glum face. "Naa innikku paatu class-ukka pogala na. Ice miss kochippanga.." (I didn't music class today, brother. Ice miss won't be happy...) Maaran was confused; how long did this hyperactive kid go to music class and how on earth did that teacher deal with him? "Yaaruda indha Ice miss?" (Who is this Ice miss?) "Avanga peru Aishwarya miss, ana nanga ella avangala Ice-nu thaan kupiduvom. Avanga evlo sweet theriyuma na? Eppome thittamatanga..." (Her name is Aishwarya miss, but we all call her Ice. You know how sweet she is brother? She won't ever scold us...) "Aprom yaenda bayapadra?" (Then why are you scared?) "Chumma." (Simply/no reason.) 

The boy shrugged and skipped off the chair as if his ankle hadn't just been put in a splint as Maaran rolled his eyes in fond exasperation. A doubt nagged at the back of his mind. He'd heard of this Aishwarya; it was impossible to live in such a small colony and not know about everybody, but he knew nothing about her besides the fact that she'd moved from a prestigious music school in Chennai abruptly. No one knew her, and those who did weren't the kind to share what they knew. 'Aishwarya...Ice.' He thought to himself. 'Why is the name so familiar?' He shook his head, as if to dispel the nickname, and turned his thoughts back toward the mysterious woman whom the little boy had described as sweet and benevolent. "Aishwarya..." He tried the name out for feel, followed by a childish whisper of "Ice.." and a light grin tugging on the edge of his lips as he got back to a busy day of work at the clinic.