chapter five

As they walked, Jo could hear a familiar voice. It was Richie Tozier.

"Just suck the wound," he said to somebody.

"I'm trying to focus right now," the 'somebody' replied. It was Eddie Kaspbrak.

"You need to focus?" Richie scoffed.

"Yeah, can you go get me something?" Eddie asked.

"Jesus, yeah, what do you need?"

"Go get my bifocals. I hid them in my second fanny pack," Eddie told him. Jo snorted. The voices were distant, but both boys were loud enough to be heard from a mile away.

"Why do you have two fanny packs?" a different, softer voice questioned. Stanley Uris.

Just then, Bill Denbrough walked out of an alleyway. He was only a couple of feet in front of Jo and Bev, who, by the way, had their arms linked. Beverly stopped and made Jo stop with her, right in front of Bill. He smiled and started digging in his pocket. He held out the money in his hands.

"Uh, th-thanks," he stuttered. Beverly held up the pack of cigarettes she stole.

"Even-Steven." She winked. The blood rushed into Bill's cheeks.

"Oh God, he's bleeding! Oh, God," Stanley Uris exclaimed. He was speaking louder this time, interrupting the very, very sweet conversation Jo definitely was not jealous in. Beverly turned her head at the same time Jo did.

"Ben from soc?" she said, mostly to herself.

"Ben? What happened to him?" Jo exclaimed. She hurried over to the boy, dragging Bev along with her.

"You have to suck the wound before you apply the bandage, this is 101!" Richie claimed.

"You don't know what you're talking about," Eddie fought.

"Are you okay? That looks like it hurts," Beverly asked. She was clearly concerned.

"Yeah, dude. I become your best friend and you scare me with this shit?" Jo joked, winking. She was concerned, too. She just wanted to be lighter about it.

"Oh. No, I'm good. I just...fell," Ben replied.

"Yeah, right into Henry Bowers!" Richie interrupted. Bev and Jo looked at each other.

"Sh-sh-shut it, R-Richie!" Bill scolded.

"Why? It's the truth!" he counterclaimed.

"You sure they got the right stuff to...fix you up?" Beverly asked, referencing New Kids on the Block. Jo snorted and covered her mouth. Ben smiled.

"You know, uh, wuh-we'll take care of him. Uh, thanks again, Jo and Beverly," Bill thanked.

"Sure. Maybe we'll see you around?" Bev responded.

"Yeah, w-we were thinking about going to the Q-Quarry tomorrow if...if you wanna come," Bill invited.

"Good to know, thanks," Beverly thanked. Jo curtsied and held out her hand. Bill slowly grabbed it and cautiously shook it.

"Thank you for your service, good sir," she joked, using a British accent. Richie chuckled from off to the side. Finally, Jo and Beverly started to walk away.

"Hey! Jo!" Richie yelled, causing Jo and Beverly to turn around. "I forgot to give you this."

The boy dug through the pockets of his jorts and took his hands out with his middle fingers up.

"Ha-ha. Very funny, dickhead," Jo remarked.

"That's for getting me suspended!" Richie yelled. Jo and Bev turned around again.