Chapter Three: The Shinigami

Naruto could only watch the person in front of him with shocked eyes. Since arriving in this world, he had been surprised several times, but none of them was comparable to the shock he was feeling at that moment seeing someone he thought he would never see again, someone who was wearing the unmistakable haori of the captains of the Gotei 13.

"I think it's the first time I see you so surprised." said that person with a calm voice "Is seeing me here such a big surprise?"

The former Captain-Commander stood still for a few seconds before shaking his head "I think you would have the same reaction in my place." but then, he let a small smile form on his lips "It's nice to see you again, Captain Unohana."

Retsu Unohana, former captain of the Fourth Division of the Gotei 13, smiled at him "Only a few days have passed, yet to me it seems like an eternity. Your death was a hard blow to the entire Gotei 13."

Naruto remained silent before looking towards the sky "Those youngsters are strong. I have trained many of them, and I know what they are capable of."

The woman chuckled a bit "I knew you'd say it. Could you be interested in knowing who took your place?"

After thinking about it for a few seconds, Naruto nodded "How about talking about it at lunch?"

"Sure, how about some ramen?" asked Retsu, surprising the former Captain-Commander "Ichibē Hyōsube also told me about your life as Uzumaki Naruto when he told me about your mission."

Naruto looked at her with serious eyes "Were you sent here to help me?"

Retsu smiled at him "That's right, but like you said...let's talk about it over a cup of ramen, I've always liked strong-flavored dishes." and with that, she walked toward an inn with Naruto at her side. In short, the two were seated at an isolated table, under Naruto's request, and both ordered ramen.

"So, how come you were sent here with me? I understand the reasoning in wanting to assist me, but your healing skills would be more useful in the Soul Society, especially now that they are at war with the Quincys." said Naruto with a calm voice, before adding in a sadder tone "Unless you too have reached the end."

Retsu smiled sadly at him "Unfortunately you guessed right, but I didn't die at the hands of a Quincy. I died at the hands of the one I consider a worthy successor."

Naruto was surprised by her words before nodding "That brat has finally figured out what it means to be a Captain?"

"That I don't know" replied Retsu before chuckling a bit "What I do know is that he can finally do justice to the title of Kenpachi."

The former Captain-Commander snorted "Well, whatever he does, he's no longer my problem. The last time he caused damage I had to hear the Central 46's complaints for days and days." Retsu couldn't help laughing at the memory of that episode "Anyway...have you been sent here just to assist me?"

"Yes, that's the deal but in return I can live my new life here, just like you. After all, I lived here before being reborn as a Soul." explained Retsu surprising Naruto "In fact, I lived during the period in which you were Uzumaki Naruto. We also met before my death." noticing Naruto's confused look, she added with a small smile "During your first C-Rank mission turned A-Rank."

Hearing those words, Naruto's eyes widened instantly due to the shock "Haku?!"

However, rather than nodding, Retsu showed him a grin that, many years ago, terrorized the other captains of the Gotei 13 "Close enough, gaki."

Naruto's mind, like Kurama's, suffered a blackout for several seconds, before a single word came out of his mouth.

"Z-Zabuza?!"