• Thirty •

It had been about two days since Jolene said goodbye to her dad for good, and it hurt more than she thought. Just seeing her dad so upset made her upset, even if it was for the best to let go.

She was feeling sorry for herself and just staying home from work to get her head straight and come back when she felt a bit better.

Her mind was all over the place like always; half the time she was thinking about Mason and how upset and betrayed he just felt by her, and the fact that she hadn't done anything to fix it made her feel like shit even more.

He had a game today in a couple of hours against City, and she was asking herself if she should go and clear it out with him after the game. She couldn't keep it a secret anymore; he deserved to know.

———

"Here's the starting eleven; go warm up and prepare for the game, come on boys," Potter clapped his hands and let the squad go out on the pitch at Stamford Bridge and prepare themselves.

The starting lineup was different than previous games because there were a handful of players injured. It's the FA Cup, and they have to win the game in order to continue that tournament. They had already lost the Carabao Cup against city; they needed to do better this time.

Jolene had eventually turned up to watch the game with Woody. They were watching from the stands, high up in a secure place where most families and friends would sit.

"Can you tell me now what is going on between you two?" Woody asked; he'd been nagging Jolene, begging her to spill the tea, which obviously she created.

"No," she shook her head.

"You promised on the phone call last night," he looked at her, defeated that she wouldn't tell him.

"Woods, I love you; you're my best friend, but this is something private between me and Mason. Maybe I'll tell you when things actually get better, I promise," she put her hand on his shoulder, hoping he would understand.

"Alright, fine," he sighed as he leaned back in his seat.

The boys started lining up in their positions, ready to play the game.

It wasn't news that Chelsea was struggling and had been for a couple of games. It's been very frustrating for the players and for the fans to go through that, and tonight's game wasn't any different.

The first twenty minutes were decent, but after that, the whole performance from the Chelsea side was awful. There was no communication, no accurate passing, not a shot on goal, and definitely laziness from most players.

Jolene had her eyes on Mason the whole time; he was clearly struggling.

"He just came from an injury; he shouldn't even be playing," Nathan sighed.

"Who?" Jolene asked, completely oblivious.

"Mason,"

"He's injured?" Her heart dropped. Her heart wouldn't have dropped if she actually was there, and now she feels awfully guilty.

"He's not badly injured, but he had a knock; he's only been training since yesterday," he explained.

"Fuck," she muttered under her breath.

Things didn't turn for the better; Chelsea had lost 4-0 to City, meaning they were also out of the FA Cup this season.

"Come on, let's go see him," Nathan got out of his seat, with Jolene following him.

The boys had gotten changed; no one was in a good mood; everyone was angry and frustrated, as they should be. Mason was furious; everything was just messed up in his life at the moment.

He was just on his way out to the parking garage when he saw Nathan and Jolene standing next to their own cars. His heart turned soft seeing her there after having no contact in days, but he was so angry with the game and everything she's done that he just didn't have the energy to talk to her or even Nathan right now.

"Sorry, bro," Nathan did his brotherly hug with him as a sorry about the game. Mason didn't say anything; he just didn't want to talk about it.

Mason looked at Jolene, and at this point, she was terrified. He did not look happy or interested in seeing her at all.

"I'll head home, guys. See you later." Nathan discreetly left the two alone, knowing they had some talking to do.

"What are you doing here?" He broke the silence between them. She looked at him, hearing from the tone in his voice that he was irritated.

She cleared her throat, "Can we talk?"

"I'm really not in the mood right now," he said as he went over to his car a few meters away from hers, opening the door to put his bag inside.

"I know I hurt you, Mas-"

"Did it take you a whole week to realise that?" He scoffed; she had walked over to him, but he didn't want her near her.

"Can you just let me explain?" She grew a bit l frustrated with him for not letting her talk.

"I've had a shit week; I just got out of the FA Cup with a shit performance, so no, I won't let you explain because right now I can't focus on anything."

"How much longer are you gonna ignore me Mason? I'm not going to give up that easily," she looked at him as he walked over to the drivers seat, ready to get inside the car.

"When you learn how to stop pushing me away...I'm your boyfriend, Jolene. Your best friend. I don't know what I have to do for you to just let me help you and be there for you." He looked at her, growing tired of the conversation.

She stood there silent, processing everything he just told her. "Drive safe," he said bluntly before he took a seat and drove away, leaving her alone in the parking garage.

Her heart couldn't take it; it hurt. She let a few tears slip away before going inside her own car, crying harder when she was in her safe bubble.