E L E V E N

Draco was released from the Hospital Wing the day after Ariana had visited him. He begrudgingly returned to classes, avoiding any questions as to where he had been. The pain in his torso was lessening by the day, but the scars that he had been left with were too hard for him to even look at.

He had gone straight back to trying to fix the Vanishing Cabinet, a new found determination within him to not fail his task. Ariana would accompany him at meals when he talked himself into having a break, but this was usually when most students had finished their own meals and the Great Hall was emptying.

He had passed Potter a few times in the corridors since leaving the Hospital Wing, both of them glaring daggers into each other but never speaking. The long lectures he had had to endure from Severus since the incident made him feel like he was the one being punished instead of Potter. It was mostly talks about the importance of his task and, to Draco's immense frustration, staying away from Ariana.

After one of these conversations, finding himself incredibly agitated at constantly being watched and ordered around by others, he entered the Great Hall one evening to eat early, his eyes scanning for only one person.

"Draco, you're finally joining us!" Pansy appeared beside him, beaming.

Peering over her head, he barely looked at her. "I'm actually looking for someone."

"Everyone is at the table already." She said, grabbing his sleeve.

He spotted her coming through the large doors, her Hufflepuff friends by her side. He felt unfamiliar nerves surge in the pit of his stomach, but he ignored them. He moved past Pansy before reaching out to grab Ariana's hand to halt her. She turned to face him, the confusion on her face quickly disappearing, a smile taking its place.

"Draco." She said, not pulling her hand away from his. Susan and Leanne looked on with wide eyes, as did Pansy nearby.

She had not expected to see him here, but she was very glad to. He had changed out of his robes and now wore a shirt and trousers, all black, back to looking as flawless as he had at the beginning of the school year. Even whilst looking so underweight and tired, she found herself forgetting to breathe at the sight of him.

"Walk with me." He said, lifting her hand slightly.

The gesture seemed so small, but she was taken aback by how gentlemanly it had been. And so unexpected.

"Of course." She replied, feeling her face redden. She gave Leanne and Susan a grin before following Draco back towards the doors, her hand still in his.

She forced herself not to turn around to witness Pansy's face.

It was close to the end of Spring, so it wasn't completely dark out yet, and there was still a warm breeze in the air. They walked out to the grounds, past the greenhouses and towards the owlery. There were students still scattered about, but no one seemed to notice the two of them.

"I apologize for pulling you away from your friends." Draco said as they walked.

"Don't be sorry." Ariana replied. "I'm happy you asked me to walk with you. Are we... walking somewhere in particular?"

Draco smirked and shook his head. "I just wanted to see you."

Ariana had to work hard to compose herself with that comment. "How are you feeling?"

"Nearly one hundred percent again." He said, knowing she was talking about the incident. He wasn't even close to one hundred percent in other regards, though.

"Thank goodness." She breathed out. He noticed her hand on her heart again. Precious.

They eventually reached the owlery and made their way up the stairs towards the top, knowing that there wouldn't be anyone up there at this time. It was becoming slightly darker outside now, but the top of the tower always stayed lit with lanterns.