Alexis' POV

Flashback: Freshman Year

I didn't sleep much last night, I'm so nervous. I've lived in Australia for my entire life, but all of a sudden, I have to live with this new family in America. My parents signed me up for a foreign exchange program without even talking to me about it. They said that if I didn't like it after six months, I could come back home. It's only been six days. I've just been settling with this new family.

My sister, Dorthea, came with me. Unlike me and my mum, she has an American accent. She's always been closer with my dad, so I'm not surprised. The family I came to has a son my age, Jonah. My sister went to a different family with no other kids. So far, Jonah has been a blessing. He's so kind and soft, I couldn't have asked for a better person to live with. He's also my age which makes everything better.

"Hey, Lexi, are you ready?" Jonah asks, knocking on my door.

"Yeah, almost," I reply.

"I made you some lunch, so don't worry about that." I smile to myself.

"Thanks, Jo," I say, earning myself a small giggle from behind the door.

I run my fingers through my bright, blond hair, and sigh. This is as good as it's gonna get. I wore a caramel sweater vest with a white button-up underneath and a white pleated skirt with my doc martens. I didn't wear much makeup, but enough to make my eyes and lips pop.

I walk down the stairs and grab my bag that Jonah, bless his heart, got ready for me. He even gave me a tervis with some coffee in it. We're the only coffee lovers in the house, so he lets me use his coffee maker in the morning. By now, he knows exactly how I take it in the morning and in the afternoon.

I grab a white brown blazer that matches my vest and walk out to Jonah's car.

"You don't need to be nervous," Jonah says softly, placing his hand on top of mine. I give him a small smile.

"I'm not nervous. I'm gonna beat the shit out of this school," I say, feigning confidence.

Jonah just gives a small chuckle, not believing me. "Whatever you say."

~ This school is a little bit bigger than I thought. I swallow thickly, shoving my nerves down.

Jonah puts a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Hey, I know it's big, but you'll fit right in. I promise." He takes me to the front office and then heads to his class.

"Excuse me?" I try to get the attention of the older woman standing at the front desk. I clear my throat loudly to see if that works.

Her icy blue eyes snap up at me. "Yes?" she asks, rudely.

"I'm sorry, but I'm a new student and I don't know where to go."

"Alexis?"

"Yes, ma'am."

She gives me a slip of paper without another word.

Mrs. Blunt is my first hour, teaching theatre. Theatre has always been my best subject. That is, along with English.

I walk into the classroom just before the bell rings. Thank God I'm not late on my first day, that would be so embarrassing.

"Oh!" A young, pregnant woman says. I suspect she's Mrs. Blunt. She might have the most perfect facial structure I've ever seen. "You must be Alexis, our foreign exchange student!" She even has a British accent. I think I'm going to like this teacher.

I shyly nod my head and smile at her.

"So, Alexis, where are you from?"

"Sydney, Australia, miss. And you can call me Lexi." I give her a polite smile.

LEXOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara