✨Chapter Ten✨

Nell had picked me up in the morning. Of course she asked about Jake but I didn't give her the full rundown. I had promised to buy her lunch but when I went to pull my wallet out of my purse it was gone.

I thought maybe I had left it in Jake's room the other night. Or in Nell's car but we searched everywhere for it. She agreed to drive me back to the boys' house so I could look for it.

"I only left a couple things over there. It'll be real quick, in and out," I told Nell.

"You're all good, babe. Don't even worry about it!"

"Okay. Thanks again I really appreciate you helping me out."

"It's what friends are for!"

I hung up my apron and then gathered my few belongings. I followed Nell out to her car. She still couldn't remember how to get to the boys' house so I guided her along the way. She parked her car in front of the garage.

"You can come in. I don't know how long I'll be. Depends on if I find my stuff right away or not," I invited her in.

"Yeah, sure," Nell said, opening the car door.

I pulled my keys out of my purse and found the cheetah print one Sammy had gotten made for me. I unlocked the door and held it open for Nell.

"Make yourself at home," I told her, gesturing to the kitchen table. I went into the kitchen to find her something to drink.

"It looks like drink options are cranberry juice, grapefruit juice or a can of pepsi. Or water," I offered her.

"Water's fine," she told me and I turned around to pour her a glass.

"Thanks," she said as I set it down in front of her.

"It won't be long, I'm just gonna go up to Jake's room and see if I can find my stuff," I said, turning to climb up the stairs.

I walked up to his door and hesitated for a second, again feeling like I wasn't allowed to go in there. I took a deep breath and turned the handle, stepping inside. I made my way to his cluttered nightstand and searched for my wallet. How could I have lost my wallet?

"Well, I don't think it's in Jake's room!" I called down the stairs to Nell.

I walked over to her and then saw a figure in my peripheral. I looked over to see Jake and Sammy standing still. My eyes flicked between the two of them, not entirely sure who to acknowledge first.

"You were in my room? That feels like an invasion of privacy," Jake mumbled.

He was trying to be cute but Nell and Sammy were there.

"I thought I left my wallet here. I just assumed it would be where my keys had been," I explained.

"I haven't seen your wallet," Sammy said.

"Damn. I thought for sure it would be here," I groaned.

"Maybe it's in your car," Nell suggested.

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" Jake asked, catching me by surprise.

"Well, I'm kind of at Nell's mercy. She drove me here," I explained.

"Well, one of us could always drive you home, but she's obviously invited as well," Jake went on.

"I- Well, I don't- I guess it's up to Nell," I stuttered.

He caught me so off guard. I couldn't believe I had just gotten so caught up like that.

"What do you say, Nell?" Sammy asked, shrugging his shoulders.

"Sure, what are you guys having?" she agreed after a few seconds of contemplating.