Chapter 2

Javier walks you towards his horse and carefully places his hands on either side of your waist, lifting you up so that you wouldn't have to leave the warmth and comfort of his poncho.
"This is Boaz, my trusty horse." He says with his usual gentleness.

He smiles and gives Boaz a short pat before pausing to look up at you. He goes to speak but is taken aback by the look in your eyes, different from before. Only moments ago, they were ridden with tears and terror, now they were full of trust and compassion.

Javier only exhales at the thought that looks like these were the types meant for someone like Arthur, or at least that's how it normally goes.

But it made him feel special. It made him feel everything at once and suddenly, he wasn't quite sure what he was about to say.
"Javier! You waiting for a formal invitation or what?!" Bill shouts from afar.
"Y-yes! I'm coming! I mean no! I'm not! Waiting for an invitation I mean...Geez, pendejo..." Javier quickly mounts his horse, cussing beneath his breath as Boaz begins to gallop.
You allow your hands to escape the bottom of the poncho, grasping tightly onto Javier's sides.
"I never got your name by the way." He says.
"It's...Y/N."
"Pretty."

Javier was filled with curiosity and questions. He wanted to know why you were with the O'Driscolls in the first place and what their motive could've been. He knew better though, that now was probably the worst time imaginable to bombard you with questions like that. So he let it be, allowing his body to be of some comfort to you as he felt your shaky fingers squeeze the fabric of his shirt and your head rest against his back.

He'd be lying to himself if he said it didn't comfort him, too. Without his poncho and all, the cold breeze rushing against his torso was a harsh one.

The trip back to their camp was a quiet one. Admittedly, the warmth shared between the two of you and the steady trot had almost made you fall asleep.

"Psttt."
"Hmm?" You groan.
"We're here." Javier doesn't move, even though Boaz is ready to be hitched, he stays.
"Home?" You ask.
"Not quite..."
"Javier! And...and..." A random drunkard stumbles towards you as Javier helps you down.
"Not now, Reverend."
"Reverend?" You repeat, shocking you back to life. You look the man up and down. His clothes were dirty and tethered, his hair was a mess, not to mention the bottle of something spilling about in his hand.
"So you are real!" The reverend spouts, "I thought for sure a girl as pretty as you riding with Javier of all people was surely another figment of my imagination! How did this come to be, dear boy?"
"Tsk." Javier only rolls his eyes, guiding you towards a group of girls sat around a fire.

The blonde girl sang while the other two bopped their heads, dancing in their seats. The singing came to an abrupt stop, however, when their eyes landed on you.

"Karen, Tilly, Mary-beth, this is Y/N. She's not staying for long but she needs clothes...those dirty O'Driscolls robbed her of her own..." Javier spits, "Think you have something? Something warm."
Javier's hand on your back rubs small circles as he says that, as if he meant to lend you some of his own warmth.

"Javier! Over 'ere!"
You look across the camp to see another blonde woman, only dressed more masculine. Javier walked you over towards the woman who was already elbow deep into a chest.
"Trust me, you don't wanna be wearing dainty skirts on a night like this. I'm Sadie, by the way. I heard you were captured by the O'Driscolls too? Jesus...Don't worry though, the folks here are real kind, they'll take real good care of you. I was once like you, so was Kieran over there. Kinda." Sadie smiles widely as she holds a pair of jeans in front of you and a patterned sweater. Cute.

Your eyes visibly lit up at Sadies generosity which caused her a sad smile in return.
After taking the clothes from her, she sighs aggressively before slouching against the wagon behind her. "Those bastards..."

Javier's hand slowly slips away from your back as he begins to walk over to the fire pit, his eyes still on you as he leaves as if they were asking you if you were okay. You nod back and he smiles, turning away completely now.

"Oh, she is pretty." Tilly says as Javier sits.
"She's a quiet one." Karen adds.
"She just went through probably the most traumatic experience of her life. She's going to be quiet." Javier grumbles lowly.
"Didn't think we were a shelter for strays!" Micah coos arrogantly into the fire.
"We're all strays, Micah, especially you." Javier coos back. "That's literally all we are and you'd know that if you were one of us...which you're not."
Micah whips his head towards Javier who was sitting in the dirt, warming his hands.
"Huh. A greaser like you rolling around in the mud and filth, I'd say strays of a feather...but luckily for her, she's the cutest one we've picked up, yet. Heh. So it doesn't bother me too much having her around." Micah says with piggish grunts between few of them.