~0~

I'm sorry, but that looks like a face, lol XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In a dark room, a small yellow fox was typing furiously on a computer, his double tails swishing furiously in concentration. His scanners had just picked up a familiar energy signature, but that wasn't possible... The fox frowned in thought, then pressed a button to fine-tune the signature. A 3-D model of the culprit came up, and the fox nearly fell out of his chair. He needed to warn Sonic immediately!

"Tails? What are you doing up?" The fox jumped, squeaked in surprise, and fell out of his chair. "Whoops. Sorry." A white cat with a purple gem on his forehead said, kneeling to help Tails up. "Hey Nox." Tails said wryly, standing and swishing his tails while brushing himself off. The white cat grinned, showing off razor-sharp fang-like front teeth, then twitched his ear at the screen as it let out a beep. "You haven't yet answered my question. What are you doing up?" Tails looked up at the screen, his whiskers twitching in anticipation. 

"Get the rings. Someone's in trouble and I need to go warn him."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a forested mountain cliff overlooking Green Hills, Montana, a ring portal opened up in thin air, and two figures jumped through. Nox sighed and stretched, jumping up and down to loosen up his muscles. "In and out, right Tails? Warn him and leave?" The fox nodded absentmindedly, blue eyes locked onto one of his gadgets as it beeped. "He's here." Tails said, jerking his head up and his ears twitching hopefully. "I found him!" 

Nox smiled gently at his little brother's excitement, blinking slowly as he felt the familiar sensation of his pupils enlarging. "Yes, you did. Good job Tails." He reached out and ruffled the little fox's head fur, his ears twitching when Tails' giggles filled the air.  "Now c'mon little one, let's go save your hero." Tails grinned and hopped off the cliff, his double tails spinning quickly like a helicopter, then flew off toward Green Hills. The gem on Nox's forehead glowed as he activated his power and started running.

Wherever he stepped, the air turned to sparkling ice, and when he lifted his foot off, it melted. This ability, coupled with heightened speed, made Nox able to keep up with Tails. "Hey Tails, we should probably try to stay away from humans. They reacted positively to Sonic, but they might not be so kind to us!" Nox warned as they traveled. "You're probably right. What if we find somewhere to lay low until night, and then we go warn Sonic?" Tails asked, looking sideways at Nox.  The white cat grinned, nodding. "Good. You're learning well." Tails smiled.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, Tails and Nox snuck sneakily through the bushes, making sure to keep at least three trees between them and any human in the area. Thankfully, there were very few humans out at that time of night, but they still had to quickly dive into some bushes once or twice to avoid being spotted.

Nox growled in annoyance, thumping his fist down onto the dirt. "How are we going to get through town without being spotted? No matter which route we take, we're too exposed!" Tails grinned, checking his gadget again. "I just may have a solution for that. Look to your left." Nox did so, narrowing his eyes in confusion and cocking his head. "A... metal monster?"

Tails chuckled, shaking his head. "According to my analysis, that's what humans call a 'car'. It's their standard mode of transportation." Nox shook his head, confusion only growing. "What? Why would they roll around in metal monsters when there're so many better options? Like those things you called 'planes', why don't they use those?" Tails shrugged. "No clue. But at least we can use this car to not be spotted!" 

Nox narrowed his eyes, scanning the car, then nodded firmly. "Fine. We'll use it. It doesn't look dangerous." Tails grinned happily and scampered over to the metal beast, opening the door and clambering in. Nox was much more cautious, looking from side to side and darting across the street as soon as he saw that the coast was clear. Tails shot him a teasing look as he quickly hopped in and shut the door, fur in disarray. "Not in a hurry or anything?" Nox huffed, dragging his fingers through his fur to fix it. "Shush. I don't like humans, and I certainly don't like this metal beast. Let's just go, please."

Tails chuckled and stuck one of his gadgets to the dashboard, then started up the car and started driving. Nox sat back in the seat, hugged his knees to his chest, and fixated his purple eyes on the road. Every second they wasted was another second that they had to spend on this unfamiliar and intimidating planet. He knew one thing for certain, he couldn't wait to go back home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sooo, I recently read a Knuckles x Male Reader book and I enjoyed it! So much so that I got inspired to create my own X Knuckles book! Honestly, I've been wanting to do a cat-like character for a while now, ever since I read a skin-changer x Legolas book that I LOVED, and I finally saw my chance and took it!

Nox is Latin for Night, which is ironic considering he's a white cat.

Every time I read the title, I start humming "Till the Knight Falls" from Descendents 3, so look out for some references to that song throughout the book!

As said in the book, Nox has the power to create temporary ice platforms when he runs in midair, and he can run at about the same speed as Tails can fly. I was inspired by how the dragons in Raya and the Last Dragon flew, and how Elsa ran across the ocean in Frozen 2. (As you can probably tell, I get inspired by Disney a lot _:))

I'll use ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ for time skips and borders between the story and author notes.

That's it for the prologue! Enjoy your day! (Fridays are the best! <3)

-Viri Nightfall

1012 Word Count, including description