Chapter 19: fever...

Warmth flowed through his body, it was pleasant. Knuckles felt something tickle his nose. He opened his eyes and saw the hedgehog sleeping under him. Shadow looked so peaceful, so calm and serene. Knuckles looked around. He and Shadow had apparently slept on Sonic's sofa that night.The hybrid cat remembered the previous evening when they kissed calmly and touched a little. Sighing contentedly, he pressed his snout into the soft, white fur on which he had been lying before. He stopped just before his face colored. Shadow wasn't wearing any clothes on his upper body!With a low, hoarse squeak, he backed away. Shortly thereafter, the ebony moved and opened its eyes. He saw the other and his red cheeks. "Good morning you groundhog." he greeted him with a smile."Excuse me? Groundhog? Me?""That's right. You fell asleep last night. I tried to wake you from your sleep phase but you just wouldn't wake up. Probably because you're still part kitten and cats sleep for about twelve to sixteen hours."Groaning in annoyance, Knuckles let his head sink onto Shadow's chest. He had totally forgotten that part. "Shit, I hate it." he cursed, whimpering softly, pressed himself closer to the hedgehog. This one had to giggle and started soothing the other's ears. This gentle action made Knuckles purr. Unconsciously, he nestled a little in the hand of the other. The hedgehog smiled, moving his hand under the echidna's dreads and gently stroking the back of his head, drawing a small meow from the larger one. Startled by this sound, knuckles slapped his hand directly over his mouth to quickly smother the noise, but it was already too late. He noticed that when Shadow grinned at him. "Don't grin at me like that, hedgehog or else...!"The addressed hedgehog had to giggle. "Or else what, my sweet kitten? What are you gonna do?~" he teased amused while touching him and continuing the massage on the other's head. The cat automatically leaned against his hand and purred a little louder. "I hate you..." he meowed a bit angrily but forgot why. Feeling the hand rubbing against the back of his head was incredible. Was that a weak spot of his?"I know you hate me. That's exactly why you seem to be striving for this one, mhm...""Eat my asshole!" he growled angrily, biting the ebony's black and red arm with his fangs.The hedgehog hissed briefly, but then smiled meanly, bent over so that he could whisper something into the red fluffy ear. "I would love to eat your asshole my dear~ But don't you think this is the wrong place for that?"

Suprised, Knuckles emediantly let go of his arm.
"No! T-that's not what I meant by that." stammered the red one with completely red cheeks.

They both grew quiet over time, it was uncomfortably quiet, but not for long. Tails came down the stairs yawning, looking pretty sleepy. This caught the attention of the two lovebirds on the couch. "Tails, are you okay? You look very tired." asked Knuckles, who slowly climbed down from shadow.
"mhm.. what?" the fox murmured, looking at him with a blurry iris. The Echidna hybrid slowly walked towards him and felt his forehead. "Your forehead is hot, Tails." he remarked.
Now Shadow got up too, grabbed his t-shirt that had been lying on the armrest of the sofa.
"Oh, that's nothing. I have to keep working on the machine now." the little fox murmured absently.
Knuckles carefully grabbed him and lifted him up. "No! You have a fever. You will rest now."
"That explains why the fox boy was so tired yesterday..." the ebony murmured, deciding to wake up Sonic to take care of Tails. He entered the room of his blue opposite, but no one was there. "Damn, Sonic you idiot. You're never there!" he grumbled angrily. Annoyed, he went back down the stairs where Knuckles with Tails on his back came towards him.
"I'm going to look for Sonic to bring Tails the medication from the pharmacy."
The cat looked at him a little confused. "Why sonic? You could do that too. Sonic likes to travel around the world when he has the time. It will probably take over an hour before you find Sonic."
The hedgehog's eyes were directed downwards. "Sonic should take care of the fox himself. That's not my job." he replied in a cold voice.
Knuckles flinched. This rivalry and this damn pride of the two made him mad. He also showed this to his partner. "Shadow, what are you doing?! Tails is sick you idiot! And you say it's Sonic's job to take care of him? Why? Because he's his little brother or what?"
"I'm not responsible for him-"

"Shut up! You told him to take a break too. At least that's what I was told. So that's no excuse not to help him!""I don't care if the fox cub can stand such a small fever or not.""Are you kidding me? You were worried about him yesterday! I don't understand what you're up to! Do you want him to feel bad?! Wait a second..." Knuckles paused for a moment. The suspicion that was in his head made his eyes widen and his ears drop in disappointment. "You don't want Tails working on the machine so I'll stay part cat..."The ebony looked at him, shaking his head violently. "No no, that's not it!" he denied."Of course it is! Don't take me for a fool! You love cats. Which means..." His ears dropped even more, as did his shoulders."No Knux. I-""It's okay, I'll go get the medication myself. I don't need your help..." he hissed quietly and dangerously, walking past him into the younger's room. There he put the sick fox on his bed and marched into the bathroom past Shadow who ran after him. "Knuckles I'm sorry I-""Save it Shadow. Don't fool me again. I don't care about you, pfff... You only cared about me because I'm a helpless kitten." he growled as he wet some rags.
"No knux it's not like that." the hedgehog assured him. "I love you... just as you are, as you were before and as you will be in the future. It just seemed to me that you were more open with your feelings, so I thought maybe you could stay my kitty. That imagination of having you as my little cat was wonderful. But it was wrong of me to think like that. I'm sorry-"All mental cords tore when the echidna heard that. Angry, he threw one of the rags in his face at an unprepared moment, causing the dark hedgehog to tip over and fall backwards."Cat fucker...!" Knuckles hissed at him with tears in his eyes before he went back to Tails.The level of anger also increased in the hedgehog's body. Exasperated with anger, he stood up and followed Knuckles, about to throw the rag back at him when he saw the worried expression on the other's face. The cat was wrapping the rags around the fox's calves. "Don't worry, you'll be fine. I promise."Knuckle's caring was a wonderful act which was very rare. The hedgehog sighed softly. That was the side of that echidna he loved and cared about, so he shouldn't mess up with him. He slowly moved closer to the two, but still kept his distance. He cleared his throat to get his lover's attention. When Knuckles finally gave him a look, he held out the wet rag. "I'm sorry. Write me what you need for Tails and I'll get it."The red one looked at him a bit suspiciously, but then took the cold object and put it on his yellow friend's forehead. "It's okay. I overreacted..." he murmured in a low voice. Grabbed a piece of paper and a pen and wrote down everything Shadow should bring them, then handed him the piece of paper. "It's okay. I know you would love me even if I wasn't a cat. Otherwise you wouldn't have taken care of me before you got tricked..."Heedful moved the ebony closer to the hybrid, gazing into his eyes. "I love you Knuckles, more than you think...""I know..." he purred and planted a light kiss on his partner's forehead before dematerializing to get the written medicine.