S E V E N

Elaena leaned against The Cannibal, occasionally reaching up and stroking his hot scales while she read

Elaena leaned against The Cannibal, occasionally reaching up and stroking his hot scales while she read. They sat outside the Dragonpit while her brothers and uncles attended their lessons inside. His temperament hadn't improved but he enjoyed being in her company, choosing to sit with her in silence rather than be alone hiding in the cliffs. 

"One day he must allow us to saddle him if you ever hope to ride him." The old dragontamer leaned heavily on his cane, his burned fingers clutching it like a lifeline. 

"I can ride him whenever I please." Elaena closed her book and stood, running her hand along The Cannibal's neck. She had never tried, but she couldn't imagine a scenario in which her own dragon would eat her. 

"Princess, the day you ride that beast without a saddle is the day I turn into a young man again." The dragontamer scoffed and gestured to the healed burns that covered most of his body. "I only hope your pretty face does not mimic my own at the hands of that creature."

Enjoying the challenge, Elaena turned to The Cannibal who was already looking at her expectantly.

"May I ride you?" She asked. The Cannibal wasted no time in lowering his head as low as he could, inviting Elaena to climb over his horns and spikes. She could feel his excitement mirroring her own, she had never ridden on a dragon by herself and he had never had a rider. 

"Princess, no!" The dragontamer took a small step forward, stopping when The Cannibal opened his jaws, exposing the faint orange glow of flames building in his throat. 

"Be calm, obey me." She whispered, slowly climbing to the space between his neck and back. His scales were hot but comforting, and he crooned happily once she found the most comfortable position. She opened her mouth to command him to fly but he was so excited he didn't even wait for her to usher the command, unfolding his massive wings and launching into the air.

Elaena squeezed as hard as she could with her legs, terrified of falling off his back and splattering like a broken egg on the ground below. The Cannibal let out a string of happy roars, turning sharply and performing aerial maneuvers that no doubt looked graceful and elegant from the ground despite how terrifying they felt in the air. 

Kings Landing was beautiful from so high up, the roofs merged into a sea of red clay, the Red Keep towering over the city with its pale red walls reflecting the sun. The Blackwater was bluer than ever, the port filled with ships no doubt filled with spices, silks, jewels, and the richest of fruits and wine. 

Elaena could live out her life exploring when she wasn't ruling, flying to Essos and exploring the Free Cities, traveling to Yi Ti and swimming in the Jade Sea, it could all be hers. No, no don't be silly. You will never have that kind of freedom. The Iron Throne goes before anything, she reminded herself harshly. 

The wind in her face was so refreshing and freeing, her hair blowing behind her and her beautiful dragon under her, it was all perfect. Everything was perfect when you were soaring through the air.