XIX.

THEY STOPPED AT the front porch. A loose ring of campfires glowed in the woods, completely surrounding the property, but the house itself seemed untouched.

Wind chimes jangled in the night breeze. A wicker chair sat empty, facing the road. Lights shone through the downstairs windows.

Frank hesitated at the door.

"What's wrong?" Percy asked.

Frank didn't respond, still staring at the door with a cloudy gaze.

"Frank?" Hazel asked.

"Ella is nervous," the harpy muttered from her perch on the railing. "The elephant — the elephant is looking at Ella."

"It'll be fine." Frank's hand shook as he fit the key in the lock. "Just stay together."

Inside, the house smelled closed-up and musty. They examined the living room, the dining room, the kitchen. Dirty dishes were stacked in the sink. In the parlor, Buddha statues and Taoist immortals grinned at them like psycho clowns. Mia remembered Iris, the rainbow goddess, who'd been dabbling in Buddhism and Taoism. Mia figured one visit to this creepy old house would cure her of that. Large porcelain vases were strung with cobwebs. The fireplace was dark and cold.

Hazel hugged her chest. "Is that—"

"Yeah," Frank said. "That's it."

"That's what?" Mia asked. What was up with that fireplace? It seemed normal.

"It's the fireplace," Frank told her, which was stupidly obvious. "Come on. Let's check upstairs."

The steps creaked under their feet. Frank's room had an extra bow and quiver, spelling awards from school, and photos of a woman that really looked like him.

"Your mother?" Hazel asked gently. "She's beautiful."

They checked the other bedrooms. The middle two were empty. A dim light flickered under the last door.

Frank knocked quietly. No one answered. He pushed open the door. An old woman lay in bed, looking gaunt and frail, her white hair spread around her face like a basilisk's crown. A single candle burned on the nightstand.

"Mars," Frank said.

"Frank?" Hazel whispered. "What do mean, Mars? Is your grandmother . . . is she okay?"

Frank glanced at Mia, Percy, and Hazel. "You don't see him?"

"See who?" Percy gripped his sword. "Mars? Where?"

"Guys, it's . . . it's nothing. Listen, why don't you take the middle bedrooms?"

"Roof," Ella said. "Roofs are good for harpies."

"Sure," Frank said, though he seemed like he was somewhere else. "There's probably food in the kitchen. Would you give me a few minutes alone with my grandmother? I think she—"

His voice broke.

Hazel laid her hand on his arm. "Of course, Frank. Come on, Ella, Percy, Amelia."

They left him to go into that room, wandering around the house and taking stock of their resources. Eventually, though, they decided to use those resources to their advantage. Besides, it was really nice to stay in an actual house again, even if it was only for a night.

Percy and Hazel mustered up sandwiches for dinner while Mia had taken a shower and changed into comfortable clothes. They ate, and then Hazel took a shower while Mia and Percy washed dishes and started making their beds.

"Hey," Percy said, and Mia looked over at him for a second before focusing on the dishes. "Thanks for bailing me out of the jail. I don't know what you two did with Hylla to swing that, but . . . thanks."