The Past Hunts

James woke up with swollen eyelids, hungry and smelling cigar in his soul.

"That's what happen When you are too lazy to shower". The lack of sleep was becoming a routine, and the mood outside did not help, always raining and cloudy.

With a look, James noticed the numbers marking 7 AM in the alarm clock.

"Let's get to it." And sat down by the window, overlooking a space in his apartment full of papers and fast food boxes. The envelope was lying in the desk, with a looking good seal of wax from the police station shining below a malfunctional lamp.

James read the paper trying to maintain a good pace, but an inconstant anxious was filling his guts, an emotional sickness which have been following him since childhood. The letters started to crumble, deep breaths taking over the pace. After multiple reading comebacks, it was done. With no reaction for several moments, only the sound of rain kept the ambience alive.

The letter had the following:

Detective,

I hope this finds you in good shape.

It is better to address this by letter, as eyes and ears are everywhere.

I know what you have done in the past, and do not judge you. All is a matter of understanding the variables at that time.

You had reasons. It was a choice.

I will commit to clear this from the police side, but you have to do the same for yourself.

We will work together, but do not expect an easy time. The appearances must be a priority for now.

Keep in mind that I'm your only "friend".

Salute,

B.

— The enemy of your enemy is your friend, that's what they say — James said with a deep sleepy voice.

"I need courage to put my apartment in order... What a mess" James thought while looking to the flies above some leftover food. Dust could be seem from far away in all corners, and no landscape could survive in those dust-foggy windows.

— Better now than never — was the detective quote while searching for the pair of broom and squeegee.

"squeegee..." The word started to loop in his mind, bringing back a lot of stuff.

Old ones.

In a moment, James was sweeping the floor, then, he was facing it, trying to survive one more severe headache. And between the pain and flashes of the past, he remembered scenes he wished gone forever.

§

First Scene: Happiness

It was sunday. A good day for a stroll with Lily and Ann. James was wide awake early, cooked, smiled with the smell of eggs and bacon in the morning.

Ann kissed him deeply short after that.

They loved each other above the stove, with fire and dangerous acts.