70. Weather the Storm

One of Lauren's least favourite days of the year had arrived; her birthday. Her room was gloomy, the sky outside dark with an approaching storm, and she was trying not to let her voice wobble on the phone to Joey. She'd woken up to a happy birthday text from him, bittersweet when she wished she could be spending the day with him in person, and had been waiting on a FaceTime call from him when he phoned her instead.

"I'm really sorry I couldn't make it, Lolo," he was saying.

"It's okay." She was glad he couldn't see the lie in her face right now. Not that she blamed him. He couldn't get away from school same as she couldn't get away from work to go and visit him. But it sucked, and she was having a hard time hiding it.

"I've got you a present, though," he said. "It's just going to get there a little late."

"Okay," she said quietly.

"I can't wait to see your face when you get it."

"Yeah." She wished she could muster more enthusiasm for his sake. It was sweet of him to send her something, but she'd trade every material possession for a single hug right now.

He sighed softly, clearly sensing how she felt. "It won't be long before I'm with you again, I promise. We'll have a birthday celebration then."

"That sounds good," she said.

"You're still up for coming to my parents with me over spring break, right?"

"Yeah," she whispered. That would be a dream. But it was still another month away, and she didn't know if she could do it. She knew long distance would be hard; it was why she'd been scared to do it for so long. And if there was anyone she knew she could make it work with, it was Joey. But it broke her heart, and today she wasn't sure she could hold the pieces together.

She had to brush a few tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand. "Maybe I should go," she said, hating the way her voice cracked and knowing it would upset him to hear it.

Horns blared loudly, cutting off his reply. A sound she was familiar with, but it wasn't coming from outside — it was coming from Joey's end. She realised the low hum she'd been hearing this whole time was the sound of a car engine.

"Are you driving?" she asked, the sadness giving way to sudden panic.

"No, no," he said quickly. "My window's open."

Something about that didn't sit right with her. The noise was too loud for a residential street of Ann Arbor, and there was that continued low rumbling sound.

Another sound joined it now too, getting louder and beginning to drown his voice out. "Where are you?" she said.

"I'm sorry, Lo, you're breaking up," he said, talking loudly. "I think your present will be there soon."

"Okay," she sniffled.

"I love you," he said, his voice sounding suddenly nearer, as if he'd held the phone right to his mouth. And though they didn't fix everything, those words did make her feel better.

"I love you too," she murmured.

"Have a great birthday, Lo. Bye."

He hung up the phone. She clutched it to her chest, staring up at the ceiling, the sound of the rain pouring down outside more noticeable in the silence. She probably would have laid there all day, or at least until Julia dragged her out of her room, but the doorbell rang. It still wasn't much incentive to get up, but she supposed it could be Joey's present, on time after all. And it would be nice to have something from him, something he had gotten while thinking about her, even if it wasn't the same as actually being with him.