Part 18

The car pulled up to the curb by Stevie's apartment building. She was comfortably resting her head on Lindsey's shoulder, eyes closed, when he whispered to her that they'd arrived. He wasn't going to let her go alone, he insisted on accompanying her to the door. They walked hand in hand until Stevie had to look for her keys, Lindsey's arm wrapped itself around her waist. 

"You didn't have to come with me. I'm a big girl." Stevie gave him a tired smile as they climbed the stairs to the 2nd floor. 

"With all those creeps lurking around?" Lindsey shook his head. "Absolutely not."

"That's sweet." Stevie glanced at him, dragging her feet up the stairs, trying to prolong their last minutes together. "You're pretty sweet." She said, sounding somewhat shy all of a sudden. The remnants of her lipstick were still evident on his lip.

Lindsey put his arm around her shoulders and pressed a kiss to her hair. Stevie pulled away too quickly as they'd soon reached her apartment. "Give me a call tomorrow, let me know you're alright."

"I will." Stevie nodded, leaning back against the wall. "Thank you for walking me to the door."

"You're welcome." Lindsey smiled. 

They kissed goodbye and he felt like it was time for him to turn back around and go. She didn't let him. Taking his hand in hers, she tugged at it and kissed him again as soon as his chest pressed against hers. Her lips parted and her tongue pushed past his, not that she needed to fight or beg him. She moaned, when his hand landed on her thigh and he squeezed her bare flesh, his lower body grinding against hers. Her fingers disappeared in his curls and she cocked her head back, when his mouth left hers and his lips were now attached to her neck. She let out a shaky breath as his hand moved up her body and the pad of his thumb brushed over her hardened nipple through her bra. His head kept moving lower, he kissed the exposed top of her breasts and she lifted her leg up to wrap around him. And when she did that... it was as if something had switched in him, causing him to slow down, the fiery passion gone.

"What's wrong?" Stevie asked, holding his face in her hands. 

"I don't think this is a good idea." Lindsey shook his head slightly, feeling disappointed that he had stopped them. "I don't want to take advantage of you."

"You're not." Stevie insisted, kissing his lips softly. "You're not." She repeated. "Come inside, stay."

"I-" Lindsey breathed out heavily.

"I want you." She said, looking him straight in the eyes. 

"Trust me, I want you, too." He covered her hands with his and pulled them away from his face. "But I don't want this to be a one night stand. Things get awkward and..." He shrugged, shaking his head. 

Stevie chewed on the inside of her cheek, her mind was racing. They'd been doing this for the past month or so. They spent time together, they went out and stayed home, they talked to each other openly and they ended up all over each other every single time until one of them eventually pulled them back. He'd risked their friendship, when he told her that he was in love with her, maybe it was her turn to take the next step. 

"I don't want you to be a one night stand either." Stevie said. "Take me out." Lindsey looked up, eyebrow raised. "On a real date." She added.