New Beginnings

Jacob's POV

I was, to say the least, disappointed when I found out that I had to move to Spoons. I knew why, I know that my clan lived on a reservation near there and that it's better to be closer to them, but Spoons just seemed so... boring. It was a small town, and I do have brief memories of it from going to visit— it was never, ever sunny out. All rain and dreary drizzle.

I tried to ignore the dread pooling in my stomach the farther away I got from Phoenix. I could already see the clouds hanging over the sky, perfectly matching my mood.

My dad had tried to cheer me up with the whole 'you'll be able to find werewolves like you, and maybe you'll even be able to find a beta or an omega' talk.

But I didn't really know about that. I have already met about every girl on the reservation, from going there every summer (which was absolute torture, if you asked me), and none of them even had an ounce of appeal.

Nor were they breedable. At all.

Maybe I would've found a girl in Phoenix, because there's a lot more people in Phoenix than Spoons, but that chance just got flown out the window.

I was absolutely screwed. There's no way I could possibly live without ever finding a Beta or an Omega.

I brought my knees up to my chest, leaning against the car door.

My dad cleared his throat. "Y'know son, I did forget to warn you about one other thing."

I rolled my eyes. There can't possibly be more than there already is. "What is it?"

"There's a family I want you to avoid, at all costs." He paused, tapping his finger on the steering wheel. "No matter how pretty the girls are, you need to avoid them."

"Why? Who are they?"

My dad sucked in a breath. "The Cullens. A group of vampires that live in Spoons who are definitely out to get us. They promised never to step foot on the reservation, but you'll be going to school with them and I don't want you even in ten feet of them."

I nodded, not sure what the fuss was all about. I was good at avoiding people, so why would this even be a problem? "Okay, dad. I don't know why I'd even be mingling with a bunch of vampires."

My dad flinched at how harsh my voice came out, but I didn't care. Why did he think I would be mingling with a bunch of vampires, being a werewolf? I'd heard the stories. I knew that they were bad, and to be avoided.

Besides, I'm sure I would be able to smell them from miles away.

---

The house was decent. We didn't have all the money in the world, but it was good— and, according to my dad, it was in the perfect spot where I could go to school like a normal 'person' and could also easily get to the reservation.

I was happy to see Bella there when I got to the reservation, quickly rushing over to her. She was sitting on a rock, picking at her nails.

I plopped down beside her, huffing.

"So? How was the trip here?"

"Long. And boring. And dreadful."

She shrugged. "To be expected. Why'd you even agree to come here, anyways? You're almost eighteen, you could've just stayed in Phoenix."

"My dad was insistent." And it's not like I could ever say no to my dad, he was scary when he got angry. Like, werewolf-scary.

She clicked her tongue. "Did he warn you about the Cullens?"

I laughed. "Are they really that bad? My dad tends to overexaggerate about stuff like that."

"Yeah, mostly. I don't know, I think it's just because they're vampires. At least they haven't stepped foot on the reservation for as long as I've been here, they tend to avoid us anyways."

"I mean, I wasn't planning on getting close with a bunch of vampires." I kicked a rock, watching it fly across the grass. Bella doesn't care about anything, so maybe I really should be avoiding those vampires.

I decided to push those thoughts away, turning back to her to switch the topic around.

Edward's POV

Alice skipped down the stairs, almost bumping Jasper right over as she ran over to me. She fell down into the chair across from me. "Guess what I heard!" She practically sang, her smile reaching her eyes.

I rolled my eyes. "What is it now, Alice?"

She took a deep breath, obviously ready to launch into a story. "I heard from Bella—"

Jasper interrupted her quickly, "Didn't Carlisle tell you to stop hanging out with her? Y'know, since she's a werewolf?"

"Shut up, Jasper. She's cool."

He shrugged. "You better not say that in front of him."

She clicked her tongue, turning back to me; her initial excitement had been replaced by irritation. "Anyways, I was told that there's a new kid coming to our school! He's actually a good old friend of Bella's, and I've heard that he's pretty good-looking." She winked at me.

I played with my hands. "What? Is he a werewolf?"

She clicked her tongue once again. "Okay, maybe, but still, just because he's a werewolf doesn't mean—"

"Stop trying to set me up with people I'm not even allowed to be with. Just because your power helps you hide things from Carlisle doesn't mean mine will."

She sighed, getting out of her seat while Jasper gave her a knowing look.

I loved her, she was my sister and all, but a werewolf? How untouchable did she think I was?