Chapter One

I Find Out Why My Dad Sent Me To America

The Life of a Half-Blood and a Devil Hybrid are not so different, you know. They both have to fight the worst of the worst when it comes down to the scumbags of their own worlds. If we wanna go there, they both also see the world... considerably more different than your average human. And me? I see it both ways I guess. I'm both a hybrid and a half-blood.

My father is a hybrid named Dante, or Anthony Redgrave to those who do business with him. Trust me, it's safer for him to use an alias when working with clients. I'll get to that in a sec. As for my mother, she's a goddess, don't tell me which one, because I honestly don't know. Regardless, my name is Lux Redgrave. And you know how I said that hybrids and half-bloods have it difficult? Yeah, this is one such difficulty: stress.

I've been having these weird nightmares about a man, more a hybrid who split himself into two beings, it didn't look right and the man in question looked like he was dying or more... breaking apart. But he also mentioned my dad's name; his real name, not the alias. Dad then sent me to a place called Camp Half-Blood. I've been there time and a bit, at christmas time and during summer. It's nice but, I'll explain much later when the time is right.

Thankfully, I do get out a lot of the days of the week, since Zoë Nightshade, a Hunter who swore allegiance with the goddess Artemis likes to teach me about Ancient Greece and The Gods of Olympus, she considers it her day; since she's much older than she looks.

For today's lesson, the history into why Artemis doesn't stay on Olympus. Shown through pieces of art at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

"So my middle name is shared with Chthonic Deity?" I asked,

"Yes," Zoë replied, "Thine middle name also means great hunter. Fitting since thou hast shown great skill with a bow."

I feel like I should get this out the way, really I should've said this at the time, but The Gods of Olympus are real, Zoë serves one directly, Artemis, The Goddess of The Hunt; can't really blame her though. For someone who is not to fond of men, you'd think having a boy like myself as her champion and her effectively owning my life and even being the one who gave me my name in the first place would hate me and make my life hell, but not really, she just... really likes to ensure I follow her ideals on the world and to ensure that, she's pretty much had Zoë chaperone me since I was a toddler. But yeah she's honestly nice to talk to.

Anyway, after Zoë explained to me my middle's names meaning. She directed a few depictions of Artemis.

"Now, do tell," Zoë said, "What does thy remember of the reason why Lady Artemis does not remain on Olympus?"

"Artemis is more of a free spirit, right?" I recalled, "It's why her sacred animal is a deer."

Zoë nodded, "Good." She said, "Now remember Lux. Lady Artemis shows great compassion to girls hurt by man's neglect and abuse." She turned to me with a serious, "Rare few exceptions have been made, thou art one such exception. Lady Artemis always has high expectations for thy, as do I." She placed her hand firmly on my shoulder. "Do not take such blessings lightly. Such blessings can easily become curses with a snap of a finger."

I gulped, "I'm fully aware and am humbled, truly." I said, my throat felt tightened up, "Besides, I greatly appreciate these lessons." I looked at a statue of Zeus, The King of Olympus, "You're probably the only person other than my Dad who knows more than anyone."

"About thine mother?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

Zoë's typically stoic expression turned to a gentle smile, "Lux, thine is always watching,"

"Through the eyes of flame." I finished.

Zoë and I continued through the museum. I was always left fascinated by how she effortlessly bought these stories of a time long gone. Her time. Like I said, despite how she looks sixteen; she's actually closer to over two thousand years old. She's been a hunter for that entire time. She's never told me why she joined Artemis. I never felt it was my place to ask either. I'm no hunter, I'm just a champion.

And Zoë, she's a surrogate sister to me for how much time we spent together as I grew older, on top of being a great teacher. Her past is secondary, at least to me.

Regardless, we talked more about Artemis, her endeavours, the friendships she had, her most famous maidens and the maiden whose life was given to my grandfather in exchange for mine (it's complicated).

Anyway, we decided to go for lunch after hours of lessons. We agreed that we did not want to deal with school kids, which is why we kept in different areas. What made us agree on that more: was seeing old hay for breath Chiron, or Mr Carl Brunner while he's undercover. It's semi-obvious that he's helping a Satyr, a half goat, half human creature in charge of guiding half-bloods to camp. Zoë kept her gaze on one kid in particular, black hair, same age as me, but sea green eyes. Even then, I can feel it; that kid's got serious untapped potential to him. What is he?

I opted not to ponder on that. Fear of the unknown creates extreme doubt. That was the first lesson Zoë taught me.

But back to lunch. Zoë and I agreed to eat at a sandwich shop nearby. I still had to remind Zoë to tone it down with honouring the gods in public. Since the world has had problems with religious nutjobs in the past. She understood. As much as I rely on her to understand my half-blood roots, she relies on me to ensure not to be overbearing in public. Aside from that, we had our sandwiches, sure beats pizza with olives for lunch; Dad's right about those, they suck on pizza, completely ruin it. Regardless, you can't beat a good ol' BLT sandwich am I right?

We decided to take our time. Zoë wanted to ask me how she found using her old silver bow. I was honest and said it was way better than the bow I was using before. Since it didn't snap every other time I'd draw the string back.

And while we were paying, we overheard the breaking news broadcast.

"A shockingly terrifying set of events conspired in Redgrave, England just now as a mass demon has initiated. All of it started from a mysterious plant that sprouted and grew rapidly. After hours of five individuals, led by renowned private investigator, Anthony Redgrave. Who is synonymous with stopping mass demon outbreaks, including one a decade ago that was in the same city. Nearly two hundred people are now assumed dead as the actions of this new attack, which is rearing up to be the worst attack by these monstrous creatures in history." The News Reporter straightened his pile of papers, "This has been Bob Barbes, just doing God's work."

So Dad sent me to America because of this? This is... Dad wouldn't keep secrets from me. He's always been up front about informing me about stuff like this. Like me going to Camp when Dad had to go to Italy. But this? Dad, what are you keeping from me?

"Zoë," I said, "The Hunters are at camp, right?"

"Yes."

"And Mr D would approve due to this scale of demon being an end of the world scenario and would grant us permission to go?"

"Yes." Zoë replied, "We need to go now?"

"Double time Sister!"

We paid for our meals quickly and took a cab straight to Long Island, the location of Camp Half-Blood.