13. like clockwork

[the hunger games series: catching fire]➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

        "Get up!" Cameron heard a voice bark as Katniss shook her awake. "Get up- we have to move," she continued. Cameron grumbled as she dragged herself to her feet. The girl snatched her crossbow from the edge of the shore as Katniss went to wake Wiress and Beetee.

"Tick, tock!" Wiress shouted in a panicked voice as Katniss tapped her on the shoulder.

The girl on fire nodded. "Yes, tick, tock," Cameron heard her say. "The arena's a clock. It's a clock. Wiress, you were right. You were right."

Cameron raised her brow as she leaned over to Johanna. "Do you have any idea what they're talking about?" she asked in a hushed voice, nodding towards Katniss and Wiress.

Johanna's eyes floated over to the pair, shaking her head slowly. "I don't know and I don't care," she stated.

"Fair enough," Cameron replied as the two joined the rest of the group.

Beetee still wasn't doing good, his injuries still seemed to be getting the better of him. "Wire," he stated, shoving Peeta away from him as he tried to pick the older tribute up.

Peeta nodded, "She's right here. Wiress is fine. She's coming too," he told the man.

Beetee kept shoving the boy's hand away. "Wire," he objected in a stern voice.

Johanna rolled her eyes, "Oh, I know what he wants," she said, strolling across the beach and picking up a stranger cylinder from the belt of Beetee's old jumpsuit. It was still covered in his blood. "This worthless thing. It's some kind of wire or something," she explained. "That's how he got cut. Running up to the Cornucopia to get this. I don't know what kind of weapon it's supposed to be. I guess you could pull off a piece and use it as a garrote or something. But really, can you imagine Beetee garroting somebody?"

Cameron scoffed, studying the piece of bloody wire in Johanna's hand. "He really risked his life for a piece of wire?" she asked. Johanna raised her eyebrows at the girl. They both knew what game they were playing. They needed to place dumb in order to win over Katniss. There was no doubt in Cameron's mind that Beetee was planning on using that wire to get them out of the arena. She just didn't know how.

"He won his Games with the wire," Peeta said. "Setting up that electrical trap. It's the best weapon he could have."

"Seems like you'd have that figured out," Katniss said, staring directly at Johanna. "Since you nicknamed him 'Volts' in all."

Johanna narrowed her eyes at Katniss. "Yeah, that was really stupid of me, wasn't it?" she said sarcastically. "I guess I must have been distracted by keeping your little friends alive. While you were- what, again? Getting Mags and Mitch killed off?"