Prologue

'Thanks David. It was an interesting weekend in the NFL. Unfortunately, the local team did not fair well. The Washington Redskins lost to the Dallas Cowboys in Washington last night 14-10. The Redskins....'

I turn down the volume as I look at the papers in shock.

Lorenzo pours us a glass of whiskey each, putting mine on the table.

Even though I'd love to have a drink right now, I just can't seem to put my mind on what is lying before me.

A marriage contract. Between me and Anna Giovanni. Made by our parents twenty years ago.

"I found it under Anna's bed today. I guess that's why they fled."

"Because of a damn marriage contract? How did she get her hands on this in the first place?"

"I looked through your fathers' office. I found the rest of the papers there. I'm guessing Anna was snooping around the house and found these by accident."

I rub my jaw, processing all this information.

"And? What do the other papers say?"

"A strict date for the marriage. The 15th of April."

"That's in two months." I mumble to myself. I look up to Lorenzo who's looking quite stressed, a serious expression on my face. "I want you to find her. Now. Do whatever it takes. She can't run from that marriage."

"Will do." With a salute Enzo walks out, leaving me alone to think.

I take the papers, reading through them.

It seems Anna has only found the contract of our official marriage but not the rest of it.

It talks about some gang that existed back then that was a bigger threat to our mafias than expected. Our parents probably thought that they still would be till this day and so they created this contract as an act of power.

I don't care about that though. The fact remains: the contract is still intact. And Anna will soon be mine.

Whether she wants it or not.