steam

chapter fifteen•̩̩͙*ೃ

                                 ⊱ ────── {⋅. ✯ .⋅} ────── ⊰

Police sirens-- loud enough to pierce the glass of the windows-- echoed from the street, and interrupted the beginning of Dustin's supernatural experience explanation. Angel was the first to peer out the window, as everyone else yelled at Eddie to duck under the tarp. With white knuckles, she gripped the bottom of the windowsill, anxiety pulsing through her fingertips.

But the cop cars weren't pulling into the drive way. They never even glanced at house.

The teen chewed on her bottom lip nervously, looking over to Dustin as his voice rang out.

"Shit, it's gotta be another killing-- we need to go."

Steve's expression made it obvious that he wanted to do anything but follow them. Surprisingly, he only gave a slight glare of protest, but sighed and opened the door once the police sirens were out of earshot. Angelica immediately left her spot by the window, joining her brother's side as he stepped out of the shed.

"Hey! Woah! Are you trying to get yourself reprimanded by the police?" Dustin shot the girl a look of disapproval, gently pushing her back over the doorframe, "We are literally about to walk into an open crime scene, Angel."

"I can just stay in the c-"

Her attempts delivering an excuse was in vain, as she felt a cold ring slither around her wrist, calloused fingers brushed against her skin ever so lightly. If that hadn't made the pit of her stomach churn with fuzziness, then the voice dangerously close to her ear certainly did.

"Dustin's right. They'll take you in without question."

The brunette girl wanted to instinctively snap back, but she held her tongue, and blinked up at him instead. A heat creeped up her neck, to her face, as his thumb trailed aimlessly along her skin. Yes, she knew it was stupid, but she didn't like the unfamiliar feeling of sitting in the back row, simply watching. Not after she'd been on the front lines with her brother ever since 1984, when these creatures began clawing their way out of the Upside Down. Eddie dropped her wrist.

Now, it was only Steve who stood at the door, a look of strained sympathy lingered on his expression, as he simply nodded, "We'll be back before you know it."

The door was shut before the teen girl could even open her mouth. She cursed under her breath, her eyes trailing over to the window, only to catch a glimpse of Steve's BMW pulling out of the gravel-y driveway.

She might've forgotten about Eddie standing in the room, had he not obnoxiously cleared his throat, "Why'd you want to go so bad? I'd be perfectly fine hiding here, letting them do all the dirty work." He grinned, unsurprisingly satisfied with himself.