6

———

"i'm uh- an american" jacob stuttered out obviously confused, "i'm jacob"

the girl pressed the knife harder, "what were you doing in the house? why were you chasing me?" marlene snuck up behind her, disarming her and taking the knife for herself.

"we just want to talk, alright?" marlene put the knife to the side, yanking jacobs jacket toward her.

the girl stood, scowling, "who sent you?"

"my grandfather. his name was abraham portman." jacob rushed. the girls jaw dropped, and a small flame lit in her hand, "that's a lie! i know what you are! i wasn't born yesterday. open your eyes- let me see them!"

"i am! they are!" jake responded and finally the blonde understood what this girl was implying.

"we aren't wights! i realize now, that what's happened was scary in todays age, but we aren't wights." marlene started. jacob added on, "we can prove it, i've got a letter. my grandfather gave it to me. it's from the bird, that's what you call your headmistress, isn't it?"

the girl smacked the letter away, "this doesn't prove a thing! how do you know so bloody much about us?"

marlene held her hands out, "abe told us-"the girl interrupted her, "i don't want to hear another word of that rubbish!"

"we need to go somewhere to hide." the oldest girl commented, hearing shouts and footsteps.

"why? what've you done?" the other blonde looked between the two frustrated.

jacob looked over at the armed men, "you aren't the only one who wants to kill me!" the girl pulled another knife, grabbing jacob by the collar, "you are now my prisoners. do as i say or you'll regret it."

knowing the people of the island would kill jacob if they found him, marlene nodded to him to go along with her.

as they quickly stumbled their way into a house, the girl shut the door and made a grab for marlene, only to discover her hand went right through.

immediately, she recoiled. the ghost-like girl frowned, "you really gotta work on your grip, sparky."

the girl just glared.

it was silent for a while as they listened to the men run up and down the streets. marlene sat down next to the old dog, the creature laying its head in her lap as she pet it.

"what year is it?" jacob spoke, seemingly from no where.

the girl shut him up but he pushed, "i'm serious"

while marlene pointed to the calendar on the wall the girl pushed jacob to it, "i don't know what you're playing at but have a look for yourself."

when he did, jacob swayed for a few moments before blacking out.

——

when she woke up marlene was half traumatized, "oh my bird! where in the hell are your clothes?!"

a deep sigh was heard as the naked boy pulled a robe from a hook, "i despise having someone who can see me." the girl looked to me and so did jacob, who was awake.

"you can see him?" the two spoke in tandem, the girl glaring at jake and looking away.

"i can yes, although i'm not sure why." marlene responded finally taking her hands from her eyes, "they're getting closer."

she pointed to the window, the footsteps of the mob growing nearer.

millard moved to the window, "they're searching houses. we can't stay here much longer." an idea came to mind as the other girl spoke, "we can't very well go out there!"

"i could be a distraction if you'd like. not a single one of them could catch me." marlene suggested.

millard waved her off, having picked up a book, "no need. just as i suspected, we need only wait a minute or so and then we can walk straight out the front door."

"are you mad? we'll have every one of those knuckle-draggers on us with brick bats!"

"not if we're less interesting than what's about to happen."

just seconds after millard finished his sentence, the sound of planes flying overhead drowned out the shouts of the men.

"you've tracked the events of your loop so closely? my, that is a wonder millard." marlene patted his back.

"and emma's always said my studies were useless." the boy scoffed, as everyone prepared to leave quickly. emma ignored him, opting to move jacob toward the door.

marlene stepped toward the door, "i'll be going now, as a distraction just in case."

jacob sent her a worried glance but she chuckled and disappeared entirely causing him to grow worried, "marley!"

emma shut him up and they moved away, millard staying with her, "would you mind if i tagged along?"

"just stay behind me please, i would like to save my eyes from any other traumas."

——