TEN. goodbye summer, hello fall

    RACHEL MACFARLANE comfort place had always been the couch in her living room

RACHEL MACFARLANE comfort place had always been the couch in her living room. So much so, she'd sleep there and find herself more at peace than she would in her bedroom.

It was 3 AM whenever her father walked into the living space where he saw Rachel sprawled out on the couch. He approached the couch softly and saw the papers scattered across the coffee table.

He picked on up and read it to himself. Something about being for Leia's eyes only. But another paper read, "reasons to be single instead of burying myself six feet deep"... that was pretty deep for a teenage girl.

Richard bent down, rubbing Rachel's shoulder until she began stirring awake.

"Come on, kiddo. You can't keep sleeping on the couch."

Rachel rubbed her eyes, sitting up and stretching her arms.

"Why are you down here?" Richard asked.

"I must've fallen asleep making Leia's gift."

"And a singles portfolio."

Rachel rolled her eyes and grabbed the paper out of her father's hands. She began balling it up and threw her head back.

Richard joined her side, wrapping her robe around himself, "This Jay and Nate thing is eating you up, isn't it?"

"Have I made it more obvious?"

"Sadly." Richard joked, "Maybe it's best that your single for awhile, Roach."

Rachel picked her head up and looked over at him, "I don't wanna be single. I would've been single weeks ago if I knew that's what I wanted."

Richard laughed, "Okay, let's do this then. Let's say you're looking into the future. Not too far into it, just a couple of months. You're walking down the school hallways on your way home and there he is. He's leaning against the car door. He smiles at you, opening the car door, kissing you as you hop in and just like that, you're golden. Who's the guy taking you home?"

Rachel gave her father a small smile and rested her head on his shoulder. It was a stupid way to put it, but her dad had made it seem a lot more simple.