Chapter two

Bennett's Pov

Horton and I didn't always see eye to eye on a lot of things, and I wasn't sure why. We weren't any different in who we were as people, so why couldn't I cross the line he could?

The world's cruelty had no limits, and asserting your dominance beforehand was the only way I knew to get by without sustaining too much damage. Perhaps Horton and I differed in its implementation. While he opted to exert it physically, I knew it was better for it to be psychological. You see, it's why mum stayed with dad for as long as she did. It was why dad couldn't hit me now. Insecurity and blackmail.

You break them down before they can even think of hitting you.

"BENNETT!" shrieked Coach Moore. "You need to pass the ball!"

Why should I when I knew I could win us the game easily? It wasn't like anyone would guarantee us a score like I did. It was safe to say that the only person I trusted was myself.

I circled an opponent and sent the balling
rolling in between the feet of another, catching up with it and kicking it towards the goal.

The goalie missed the ball by an inch, and I had a score.

Coach Moore blew his whistle and asked the boys to fall in. He didn't seem pleased.
"Mr Harris," he almost growled, "you can't keep hogging the ball. You're not the only one I'm training here."

"Seems like everyone else should up their game if they're to catch up, Coach Moore."
The boys erupted in protests as I looked at them all in contempt. I hadn't said anything wrong, had I?

A crackly voice blared at them from afar. "YOU'RE NOT THE BEST JUST BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE IS SHITE!"

I scoffed in embarrassment and looked towards the bleachers. Lo and behold, Maude was there with a megaphone in one hand while she pushed at a struggling Elliot's head. It was pathetic how he couldn't even square up to someone as frail as Maude.

"COME ONTO THE FIELD AND SEE HOW YOU FARE!" I yelled back.

"OI!" Coach Moore barked. "PUT THAT DOWN AND HEAD GO BACK INSIDE THE BUILDING!"
"Solid logic."
"Wait, did she just insult all of us?"
"She does have a point there, Bennett..."
I shoved Horton's shoulder who only cackled at me, and he snatched the ball from the goalie to shove into my gut. I wouldn't really call anyone a friend, but I respected Horton for saying things out loud instead of whispering behind my back. He didn't fear consequences, and I wouldn't punish him for it.

"All right, back to the game," Coach sighed and waved us off. "Bennett, please, make things easier for me here."

I rolled my eyes and jogged off, looking back at the bleachers to see if Elliot was still there. Maude cheered for someone called Juan, who I guessed was her cousin or something. I almost missed Elliot hiding behind his ridiculously large book. He was skinny enough to do so, although not entirely frail. It was a little jarring to see him out in the sun, considering how pale he was. I caught him peeking over the pages and from under his dark mop of wavy hair. It always stunned me how clear and bright his eyes were. I almost thought they were reflecting the clear skies overhead.
I flipped him the bird and ran off to continue the game.

...............................................................

The sun had disappeared before I had the chance to catch its last rays. I knew I was late, and Thomas would definitely give me shit for it. It was nothing I couldn't handle.
The sign to the building read 'NO TRESPASSING!' in bold, and I wondered why they bothered with such authoritative language. People usually like a challenge, and nothing ever came from bossing them around.
I would know.