Quincy

Leaves crackled with every step she took

Leaves crackled with every step she took. Nothing but the whistling of the wind and the occasional chirp of the birds could be heard as she continued down the leaf covered path. Wind bustled through the branches of the trees, making the leaves howl in their symphony.

The air was thick with the scent of decaying leaves and damp earth, as she made her way deeper into the forest, leaves rustling and branches creaking in every corner.

The forest lied before the small girl, surrounding her from every corner. The trees towered over her, barely letting the sun shine its way through, as the thick carpet of dried-up leaves crackled against each step she took.

She'd been told not to go exploring in the woods, as it was too dangerous, yet curiosity had taken over the small girl's mind as she snuck in the minute their attention had been turned away. She knew the risk she was taking, but the allure of the unknown was simply too strong to resist.

Her breath remained steady as she tried to remain silent, pushing away the knotted mess of blond hair from her face and lifting the rifle in her hand slowly up to her face, peaking through the scope towards her target.

At first, she could barely make it out, its shape becoming lost amongst the tall grass, but soon its head popped out, looking towards her direction.

The sound of twigs snapping had caught its attention, much to her dismay. She quickened her pace, finger pressed against the trigger as she closed in on it. However, the second she stepped closer, the deer took off in a sprint, disappearing further into the dark woods before she had a chance to shoot.

With a huff Quincy lowered her rifle, disappointment written all over her face as she thought over everything she had done, everything her friend Daryl had taught her.

Surely, he'd be disappointed to see how miserably she had failed.

"Well, that's just a bummer" A voice called out, placing their hand over the girl's shoulder. Startled by this, Quincy jumped forwards, letting out a small shriek as she turned back towards the culprit, her gun mere seconds from shooting the boy in chest.

"Whoa calm down there Rambo, it's just me" The tall, curly haired boy spoke, his arms raised, yet not a single hint of fear plastered across his face. Instead, he laughed the young girl off watching as she reluctantly lowered her gun.

"My names not Rambo, so stop calling me that" She huffed, rolling her eyes at the older teen as she regained her composure. He was lucky she hadn't actually pulled the trigger, or they'd be down another group member, not that he would be missed.

"It's a movie-... never mind, what are you doing out here? You know the rules" The skinny boy pointed out, shrugging at her narrowed eyes as he looked around nonchalantly.

Quincy huffed watching the boy carelessly look around, not a single ounce of fear in his eyes. As much as she hated how annoying he was, she had to admire his lack of fear, or care for anything going on. In the months she'd gotten to know the teen, not once had he shown true fear, often using sarcasm in the worst of moments as his defense. It was almost as if the world hadn't ended for him.