Chapter 4

Cradle Gulch didn't resemble a cradle or a gulch. If the Wanders didn't know any better, they'd say the sheer cliffs facing each other to sharply meet around a perfectly straight stone valley was an ancient design rather than a natural formation. Adding to the gulch's strangeness, it appeared as if the entrance was far narrower than the rest of its length, as if it had some shell or gate only opened about a half-mile wide.

It was here that Olish rode his weezingly old pony to lead the Wanders - Gomer and Ciela walking beside Tubby who carried Dante and Abeline. Gomer had serious reservations about bringing the kids along on this hunt, but Abeline managed the logic that they'd be safest with the rest of the family in case the mansnatch got curious.

This was corroborated by Olish, who observed the beast often hunted around their cabin, sometimes just outside the front door. Gomer figured it would've been better for Dante and Abeline to take refuge within the cabin, but Olish expressly forbade anyone but Ma to stay in. So here they were, looking around like spotters while Gomer and Ciela kept watch on the gulch's entrance.

Olish slowed as they approached it, turning a less hostile and more frank tone toward the Wanders. "This is Cradle Gulch. The mansnatch hunts all over these parts, but lives here. There's only one way in or out. I bring people up here to the entrance, but no agreement has me venturing the gulch itself. The smarter of those I bring end up heading back with me.

"You can head in for a look around, but don't expect me to rescue anybody. If I hear screams, I'll turn back and forget you. Understand?"

Ciela snuck a sideways glare at Olish, but then looked at Gomer. "Whaddya think?"
"I think..." processed Gomer, who was less apprehensive now that he was here. He surveyed the gulch's wide entrance as if studying its details. After a few curious seconds, he looked back at her with a keen look. "You ever hunt buckabills?"

Ciela blinked. "Eh, no?"

Gomer motioned for the kids to get off Tubby, whom he started leading for the entrance. "Buckabills are some nasty critters. They're like moles, but with beaks like harpoons. They stab and buck back till they ripped a chunk out of whatever comes in their burrow. If they get into your jebroot crop, you best be careful or you might lose a hand."

Ciela folded her arms with an intrigued smile. "I feel like this is heading somewhere."

Gomer looked slyly back. "Ain't no way to get at a buckabill by reaching through the hole. To nab one, you gotta dig into its burrow from the side." He then nodded toward Olish, "How thick you figure this rock face is? A few feet till the real valley?"

Olish's expression was blank. He looked like he wanted to say something, but kept his mouth clamped.

"Let's head up a ways," Gomer led Tubby, "See if we can't get at this thing from the side."

The party moved along the stone wall, away from the proper entrance. Cheeky smiles occupied the younger Wanders while Ciela kept an eye out for any unwelcome attention in the forest. After a few dozen yards of walking, Tubby leaned up against the stone to scrape his scales across. It sounded like the grinding of steel, but gave the creature insight as to what lay beyond that stone. He looked back at Gomer with a slight hum. "Mmabla."

"Right," Gomer shoved his hands into his pockets. "Let's try it."

Olish didn't seem to understand what was about to happen, so Dante and Abeline both tugged him back while everyone gave the creature distance. Tubby's mouth began to fume with green as a viridescent fluid dripped between his teeth. He almost looked like he was slobbering, but held fast as he drew a deep inhale.