Chapter Twenty Six

Narcissa wasn't wild about the request to have all of them living under the same roof, but understood Draco's, well, really Hermione's concerns about her and her recently found husband returning back to the cottage. The house was clearly large enough for them to all co-exist in and aside from the study, Hermione managed to transform the third floor into nearly separate living quarters for Narcissa and Lucius for the time being. When Narcissa asked Draco if this is what he wanted, all he could do was merely shrug and respond with, "It's what Hermione thinks is best." He didn't have a better answer. At least, he didn't have a better answer while in the presence of his father. He couldn't even bring himself to call him father. Any time he spoke to him, it was a straight remark without any kind of declarative as to whom he was directing his voice to. Though he didn't really need to declare who he was speaking to - Lucius was the only one who was spoken to with a tone of voice Hermione hadn't heard since they were children.

Every night, Hermione waited for the nightmares to permeate through her subconscious, but they were nowhere to be found. Not that she was complaining, but she did find it odd. She knew stress was a trigger, and having Lucius Malfoy in the house wasn't exactly the equivalent of frolicking through a field of sunshine and daisies. Hermione had no idea how Draco was getting any sleep with the death grip he held on her at night. It was as if he feared someone was going to steal her away in the middle of the night. For the past week and a half, Hermione woke up with most of Draco's body draped on top of her, his face buried in her neck.

Kingsley encouraged both of them to take some time off of work to readjust, but Draco wouldn't hear any of it. The sheer thought of being trapped in the house all day with his father was in his mind, a disaster waiting to happen. Hermione, on the other hand, was worried about leaving Narcissa alone in the house with Lucius without a buffer of some sorts, so she agreed to take an indefinite amount of time off of work to help get everyone settled. She hoped to use the time off to take care of some wedding planning as a way to keep both her and Narcissa busy as there was still plenty to finish before the big day.

There was still a tight lid on the return of Lucius Malfoy, and after several hot debates between Hermione and Draco, they finally came to the conclusion that a simple press conference within the safety of the Ministry would be best. The world was going to find out sooner or later, and as Hermione said, "it's better we control the information instead of press." Draco knew she was right - Hermione was always right - but it didn't make this situation less of a bitter pill to swallow. There were already rumors as to why Hermione had been absent from the Ministry throughout the week, despite Draco, Harry, and the Minister himself telling those inquiring that planning a wedding - a Malfoy wedding no less – which was in fact, a full time job right up to the big day.

Ginny spent her time at Draco and Hermione's during the day, helping Hermione and Narcissa with wedding things while her children spent time at the Burrow - much to her James' general dismay. They couldn't explain to James who Lucius was until some kind of formal statement was made - James wasn't exactly the world's best secret keeper and lived under the impression that everyone he met was his new friend. Hermione thought that was the beauty of being little, living with the notion that everyone was good because in James' world, he has no reason to believe otherwise.

Standing on the second to the last step in the foyer of the house, Hermione was at eye-level with Draco as he stood on the floor, lifting his head as Hermione cinched the knot of his tie before he had to head off to work. "Dashing," she said, grinning brilliantly as she smoothed her hand down the tie.

"Of course," Draco said with a chuckle.

"You think I lie?"

"No - I know you find me irresistible."

"Oh really?" Hermione replied, setting a hand on her hip. "What could possibly make you think that?"

He nodded. Grabbing her by the waist, he picked her up and spun her around so she was standing on the floor next to him. "The first time you kissed me and then blamed it on the ridiculous excuse of falling rings a bell."