The Cross

It had been months since her sweet, edgy lover had a knife pulled on him, but Clare couldn't shake the feeling that there were emotions left unspoken within Eli. Things were tense, especially after Fitz' made a random appearance in their lives again, claiming that he was a changed man. He reached out to Clare first, swearing that he had found God and turned a new leaf, but Eli wasn't as accepting as she was. He held grudges almost as tightly as he held onto her.

As she tossed her bag over her shoulder and sat down at The Dot, the thoughts were reeling in her head. She could barely get an order together before she noticed a familiar face at the register. And that face was.... Fitz?! Oh GOD, it can't be... but it was. He smiled and beckoned for her, and she didn't have much of a choice but to smile back and walk over for a quick chat.

"Clare, I'm so glad the Lord brought us together again today! Have you had time to think about what I said? I just really think that it could help Eli."

Clare sighed and shook her head, trying to think of anything to avoid answering him.

"I..... did think about it. And... I think there should be a little discussion about this before you talk to Eli. He's not like you and I. He's an atheist; he doesn't really believe in the same things that we do. I'm really sorry, but I don't think trying to save him is going to help your situation."

Before either of them had time to think, an angry figure burst through the door.

"CLARE! Get AWAY from him!! Don't you touch her!" Eli grabbed Clare, stepping in front of her just inches from Fitz.

"Eli, this isn't what it looks like. Clare and I were just discussing you, and... your relationship. With God." Fitz took step forward, trying to place a caring hand on Eli's shoulder. Eli scoffed and smacked his hand away, fuming.

"My WHAT? Have you both lost your minds? No, I mean really, am I the one with a problem here? Did no one tell me it was opposite day? Maybe you BOTH forgot, but not even a year ago this freak pulled a knife on me. As if that wasn't emasculating enough...." Eli trailed off, his cheeks burning red. Clare grabbed his hand and pulled him to look at her, her eyes welling with tears.

"Eli, please. Fitz just wants to apologize! I'm sorry for talking to him behind your back, but you hardly gave me a choice! I had to say something." She pleaded.

"I gave you a choice, Clare Edwards. But you didn't like the options. I don't see how that's my fault. All I ask of you is to not speak to my attempted murderer, but I guess that's just asking too much." Eli snapped, shaking his head.
"You know, I thought you of all people would get it. I thought you were different- that I could trust you. But I guess I should've just taken GOD'S sign and sworn off dating after- Just forget it...."

Eli's eyes watered as he rushed to the door, practically running outside and back to his car. This is why he never trusts anyone, he thought. What point is there when everyone you love will just break your heart one day? Maybe he has always had too many expectations, but trust and honesty didn't feel very demanding to him. Maybe that's why he's always been alone and always will be...

Clare sighed, wiping her eyes.

"Fitz, I have to go. This can't happen again. Eli can't handle it. You don't get it, he's not like the people you're used to. Or that you were used to. I can't explain it right now. But please, if you've really changed, then respect me and stop this." She sniffled, wiping her nose with her sleeve.

Fitz nodded, turning back to the register.

"I.... Have to get back to work. I'm sorry, Clare. It won't happen again..." He shook off the hurt and pressed on with a customer, giving Clare an out to rush to Eli. She ran out the door, but his hearse was already peeling off down the road. Just in time for a thunderous cloud to roll in, too. Great, she thought. She loved walking home on nice days, but certainly not in the rain.