15

As they were working on lunch together, Kinsley started asking her questions. As soon as she stood up from placing the potatoes wrapped in tinfoil in the oven she said, "So I had a full genetic panel done when I was a teenager. Where do I get the risk factor for heart disease?" 

"Well, it's on both sides of the family. I have a prolapsed heart valve. Christopher has a prolapsed heart valve. My mother had one, my mother also had a heart attack a few years ago. My dad died from a heart attack. He had three stints put in at one point. Now, on your father's side of the family. His mother died of a heart attack in 1999. His dad died from a heart attack in 1974. His brother Greg also died from a heart attack when he was 45. It's all over the place." Stevie explains. 

"My eye sight...I have to wear glasses for reading and driving," She trails off.

"Probably from me. I'm farsighted. I can't see what's right in front of my face, but I can see far away. I would think you are too, if you have to wear them for reading and driving. Your dad doesn't wear glasses." 

"What about the nursing?" 

"What do you mean what about the nursing?" 

"Where did that come from." 

"Not me, I don't do bodily fluids. Your dad thought about it at one point. He wanted to be a cardiologist because of his dad. But, then he realized there would've been a fuck ton of schooling and your dad hated school. It wasn't his cup of tea." She shakes her head. 

"I loved school. I was good at Science and English. It felt so bazaar because usually the pairing is English and History...but I suck at dates." Kinsley shakes her head. 

"I suck at Dates and Names too." Stevie smiles. 

"What happened with you and my dad." 

"I got pregnant at a really bad time, Fleetwood Mac had finished our fifth album. Tango In The Night. Lindsey got into a fight with his girlfriend, I also got in a fight with my boyfriend at the time. We ended up at the same bar. I'm not a big partier, but your Aunt Lori and Sharon wanted to take my mind off of everything. We slept together and we were great for about three weeks. But then he got back together with his girlfriend and broke off whatever was happening with us. About a week after we stopped our...affair...I guess, I found out I was pregnant and then he announced that he was leaving the band. I was devastated. Absolutely devastated. I toured with Fleetwood Mac and was gaining weight, but I was able to hide that it was a baby. Then you were born and I gave you up for adoption. I didn't want to, but I wanted to give both of us the best chance." Stevie shrugs. 

"Oh?" 

"If I had kept you one of two things would've happened. A, I'd keep my career the way it was and you'd be raised by 8 billion other people than myself save for two or three months out of a year. Or B, I would've given up my career and stayed at home until we ran out of money and then went back to waiting tables and scrubbing toilets. I thought I was doing what was best for both of us, but I hated not knowing you. I hated not watching you grow up to be the beautiful young lady that you are. And I am so sorry that you ended up with two fruit loops for parents...I'm sorry that was mean." Stevie shakes her head. 

"No, I've called them worse. I didn't even cry at my adoptive mom's funeral. Meth changes people and the day she started Meth, well that was the day that I lost my respect for her." 

"Did anyone ever do anything to you...I know that people desperate for drugs will do a lot of things. I would hate if..." 

"No, my adoptive grandmother didn't let that happen." Kinsley assures her patting her hand. 

"Good, that's good." 

They ate their lunch in comfortable silence and then Kinsley grabbed her phone. She opened up the message and put it on speaker so she and Stevie could both listen to it. 

Hi um, I received a letter from my wife Kristen. It said that a woman named Kinsley McCullougha was my daughter. I have no recollection of it, but if there is someone at this number, by that name. I would like to set up a time to talk with you so we can figure out what the hell is going on.

"What kind of message is that?" Kinsley cocks an eyebrow crossing her arms over her chest. 

"It's the type of message where he can't tell you who he is, because he doesn't want anything to leak and he doesn't know if you're actually his kid. He's just being cautious. It's not the greatest message in the world, but at least he's reaching out." Stevie shrugs. 

"Should I call him back?" Kinsley looks at her mother. 

"I think you should. You want to meet him, maybe it would be a good thing." She nods. 

Kinsley hits on the number and then she keeps it on speaker waiting for him to answer the phone. 

"Hello." 

"Hi, this is Kinsley McCullougha. I'm returning Lindsey Buckingham's phone call." 

"This is he..." 

"Um, Hi..." 

"Hello...so what makes you think I'm your father?" 

"Well, I know who my mother is, if you've read the letter you know that. I've met her and she told me that you were my biological father."

"And how is she so sure?" Lindsey asks.

"Because Linds...She was conceived right before you left the band in 1987. " Stevie finally jumps into the conversation. 

"Stevie, you're there too?" 

"She had dinner with me last night." Stevie sighs. 

"Okay look, before I believe anything...I'm not saying you're right or you're wrong, but I need to get a DNA test." 

"Understandable." Kinsley states.

"Stay tuned for a date and a time." With that Lindsey hung up and she just looked at her mother.