chapter three

Kyalayi and her father sat on the edge of the wooden deck while Tsireya and Aonung taught the Sully kids how to swim. Kyalayi found herself staring. They didn't have large and paddled tails like the Metkayina clan had. Their bodies weren't meant for swimming but rather swinging and running in trees. The forest Na'vi's dark blue skin popped out in the water as for the Metkayina's teal one blended with its color. Kya didn't understood why some of them had five fingers rather than four. Just like Sky People. Marrek red the questions on her face but chose to not answer it. She had noticed that Neteyam was the only one without Sky People's fingers. Five of them, she thought. But Neteyam had four. Kya laid on her stomach, gently touching the water with the tips of her banded fingers. With her other arm, she held her head up to be able to see more of the Sully's. Beside her, Marrek dropped his body in the ocean.

"Hand me the pliers, will you?" He asked, stretching his hand. But the girl was still very focused on the newcomers. She was intrigued and interested to learn more. "Kya?"

Kyalayi shook her head and quickly grabbed the home-made pliers. Her father had made them with sharpened rock and tied with dried seaweed. She handed the tool to her father. Marrek went under the deck and plucked samples of sea moss. The kind he could use to produce the medicine he produced for the village. Tsireya swam toward the white haired girl.

"We could use an extra pair of hands." Tsireya smiled.

"I'm already helping my father." The girl lied.

"Kya, go. I'm almost finished here." Marrek shouted from under the deck. Kya hoped her father had said otherwise.

"You can't be excused." She gently replied back. Tsireya wanted to include Kyalayi with the others. The village had spread some nasty assumptions toward the girl and Tsireya felt guilty about it. So, she thought she could start by giving something positive to say about her. How she had helped with the newcomers. "Come on." Tsireya nodded toward where the others were floating as Kya slid into the water and followed her.

"Lo'ak and Tuk, follow us." Tsireya said. Kya slowly realizing that her us included the girl. "Neteyam and Kiri. You can be with Ao'nung."

Kyalayi felt anxious to leave Neteyam and Kiri with the boy who had earlier called them freaks. She had known Ao'nung long enough to know badmouthing was his favorite hobby. The fact that he rarely went physical, reassured her. In a way. As the group swam farther from the beach, Tsireya explained the basics of swimming. And breathing. It was all about holding your breath. After a few hours of practice, the Sully kids had gotten better. They easily swam at the surface but most of them were eager to dive.

"Before we dive, let's see how much time you can hold your breath." Tsireya explained to Tuk and Lo'ak.

Both of the girls went underwater and watched their trainee do the same. Twenty seconds passed before they had to swam back to the surface. Tsireya and Kya gave each other a smile, even Metkayina babies could do better. But they didn't tell them that. No need to discourage them.

"Again." Tsireya gently instructed.

They did the same exercise a few more times before the sun started to come down.

"I'm tired." Tuk protested. "My arms are tired."

"Stop whining like a baby." Lo'ak mocked his little sister.

"We have to do this." Neteyam said from afar as he heard his sister complaining.

"When can we ride those?" Lo'ak asked, changing the subject by pointing towards the Ilu that calmly floated on the water.

"We'll start by learning how to swim." Tsireya answered with a chuckle. "Maybe then, we can try the Ilu."

"Or," Ao'nung started, swimming closer. "If you're feeling courageous. Try mine."

"You're not ready." Tsireya protested and turned to her brother. "Stop it."

"Maybe you're too scared." Ao'nung mocked which made Lo'ak even more tempted to play with fire. He was in much need to prove himself.

"Where is it?" Lo'ak asked, turning his heads from side to side. Kiri rolled her eyes, she knew he wouldn't step back from a challenge.

Ao'nung pointed toward his Ilu as Lo'ak swam to it. All of them following him to be closer. Kyalayi couldn't help herself but admire the youngest son's courage. Lo'ak was everything Kya wasn't. Scared and careful. He grabbed life by its horns. Neteyam disagreed. His brother was reckless and didn't care about the consequences of his actions. He sometimes wished they could swapped places for one day. For one day, Neteyam wanted to feel what it was like to live without the pressure of being the eldest son.

"Get off." Neteyam whispered through gritted teeth as he pulled his brother by the arm, wanting to slide him off the beast.

"No." Lo'ak glared at his brother while getting out of his grip.

Everyone watched Lo'ak connect with Ao'nung's Ilu. Tsireya and Kyalayi well aware of what would happen. But they stayed silent, the Sully boy was too determined and had already made up his mind. Lo'ak never backed down from a challenge. When he connected, the Ilu moved its whole body, feeling the newcomer. Lo'ak gave a few pat with the palm of his hand and in seconds, he was submerged by the ocean. Kyalayi let herself sank underwater so did the others, they all watched Lo'ak. Struggling. Eventually, the Ilu swam too fast for him to stay on top. He had no choice but to let go, making his body twirled on itself over and over until he had reached the surface. Lo'ak inhaled all the oxygen he could as he had choked on some water, making Ao'nung crackled. Frustrated, the Sully boy slapped the water turning it into a small wave. Neteyam stared at his brother. Kyalayi red deception on the oldest's face, like he was the father and Lo'ak the child.

"I think we should end the lesson here. For today at least." Kyalayi timidly told, speaking up her mind for the first time that day.

All of the children, Sully and Metkayina, swam out of the water and made their way to the beach. They silently separated paths and each walked to their respective hut. The eclipse had came up when the Sully joined their parents who were cooking dinner. Neteyam didn't have time to sat down that Jake grabbed him by the neck.

"You want to tell me what actually happened this morning at the beach?" He firmly asked, confident of getting a confession out of his son.

"Dad, it's this Ao'nung guy. He wanted—"

"Lo'ak, not now. I'm asking your brother." Jake said without letting his gaze drift to his youngest son.

"Freaks." Neteyam finally blurted out. "He called us and that girl freaks." He paused searching for the words his father wanted to hear.
"Next time—"

"There won't be a next time. And you will make sure of that."

Neteyam felt like a disappointment. He tried defending his siblings but it still wasn't enough. He promised himself to do better the following days. Ao'nung and his friends would regret ever putting as such as a finger on them.