Chapter 7: "I'm sorry"

The next two days went by the same way, she kept tutoring me, but since I was doing so well we decided that I should take the test on Friday instead of Monday. My dad hasn’t been back home since that day and that meant that I could study in peace.

It was now Thursday and after a long and exhausting day it was time for a tutoring session with Ms. Miller. I sat at my desk as usual and she sat next to me.

She helped me solve an exercise and our fingers brushed as she kept taking the pen from my hand. Our shoulders were touching and our faces were centimeters away. She turned to look at me and smiled. All I wanted to do at that moment was kiss her.

I leaned closer and let my eyes travel on her lips. She did the same and then our eyes met. I licked my lips.

She cleared her throat and pulled away.

-“Try and solve the rest of it and I’ll  correct it” she said and got up. I looked at her and then went back to the exercise, but I couldn’t focus.

What was that, did we just have a moment? Could she possibly feel the same way I do?

-“Emma, exercise, NOW” she said in a stern voice pulling me out of my thoughts.

-“Sorry Ms.” I solved the rest of it and she sat next to me to correct it. She pulled her sleeves up and my eyes fell on a big bruise on her arm.

She handed me the paper back and I noticed that her wrist was also slightly bruised. She saw me looking and quickly pulled down her sleeve.

-“It was correct, I think you are ready for tomorrow” She said in a blunt tone.

-“Thank you for the help Ms. Miller” I gave her a half smile. “and I’m sorry”

-“No problem Emma, and don’t worry about that” she seemed to understand to what I was referring to.

-“Uhm, I know it’s none of my business, but…”

-“You are right, it’s not” she cut me off. I nodded and left.

For the rest of the day, I couldn’t stop thinking about her and these bruises. It seemed as if she was forcefully dragged or grabbed or something like that.

When I got home I studied some more for tomorrow’s test. I wanted to do well. I went to sleep at ten, but I couldn’t, she was on my mind. I couldn’t stop thinking of what happened today, I almost kissed her. I should start being more cautious, I don’t want her transferring me to another class, plus I don’t want to ruin what we have. And by that, I mean this weird type of friendship.

After an hour I managed to fall asleep.

The next morning I got to school twenty minutes earlier, I would be taking the test during lunch break and I was stressed. I wore my hearing aids before entering the school and as I was walking inside I took my phone out to set them up. I wanted to change the volume. As I was walking I bumped with someone.

-“Emma, watch where you are going” She said annoyed

-“I’m sorry Ms. Miller”

-“You shouldn’t be using your phone on school grounds” She said and rubbed her arm.

-“I’m sorry, I know, I just needed to change the settings on my hearing aid. It won’t happen again.”

-“Oh, okay” She seemed troubled

-“Are you having a bad day?”

-“Yeah” She pulled her lips into a thin line.

-“At least you don’t have to tutor me for one extra hour from now on” Her mouth curved into a small smile.