𝟬𝟭 - 𝘳𝘦𝘶𝘯𝘪𝘰𝘯

𝖯𝖱𝖤𝖲𝖤𝖭𝖳 𝖣𝖠𝖸

𝖯𝖱𝖤𝖲𝖤𝖭𝖳 𝖣𝖠𝖸

❀❀❀

Her eyes shot open, squinting as they acclimatised to the bright light around her. She felt a breeze pass over her skin as she glanced at the thousands of trees that surrounded her. "What the hell?" she groaned. The blood rushed to her head as she attempted to stand up, the dizziness making her fall backwards onto a rock. The pain pushed through her bones as she winced.

Her eyes travelled to a house on the right. A few of the windows were shattered, and the wood seemed to be decomposing - burnt. Something rotten filled the air and she moved her hand towards her nose. "It smells like death," she muttered, turning her head towards the house.

Her body was hurting all over and she groaned as she tried to make her way towards the house. Her feet shuffled against the floor as she climbed the stairs, her legs feeling like they would collapse at any moment. Using her hands, she forcefully pushed on the door.

"Is anyone home?" she yelled loudly. Her heart was racing as the dreams she had been having about her friend Laura's death ran through her mind. All she could hear was the wind rushing past her hair and the sound of howling in the distance. She stepped into the house and glanced around. The inside was the same as the outside, burnt and broken.

"Evelyn?" a voice shouted. She felt someone wrap their arms around her, picking her up off the ground and spinning her around. Several times she tapped the man on the back, but he chose to ignore it - he didn't want to let go.

She glanced down and her heart raced even faster, "Derek?" she asked, "Is that really you?" He stared at her with wide eyes, examining her features and glancing into her brown eyes. He rubbed the back of her head, his hands tangled in her blonde hair as he pulled her into a hug. She took a deep breath and watched as he slowly leaned in, placing a kiss on her forehead.

"Where have you been?" Derek asked. Her hand glided over her back and she winced as she felt a stabbing pain - more than likely caused by waking up in the middle of the woods. He sensed that she was struggling and took her hand guiding her towards a chair; the only one that wasn't almost ash.

"I've been attending to some business-," she paused as she felt another wave of dizziness pass over her, "-ever since I heard about the fire, I've been searching for hunters."

"How come you didn't come when we needed you?"

"I never received any indication that something was going to happen," she sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder, shaking her head. He would never admit it, but it pained him to know that the girl stood in front of him could have easily prevented the death of his family. "I thought you were all dead, but I'm guessing since my dreams of Laura have brought me here it suggests otherwise."

He furrowed his eyebrows and scratched his head, his heart racing when he realised what she had said. For the longest time, her dreams had helped his family prevent many disastrous events - the death of his sister was not one. She noticed the pained look in his eyes and stepped forward, "Laura is dead, isn't she? I promise you, the dreams usually happen way before the event. I thought I still had time."

"You knew?" he yelled as his claws extended. He took a menacing stride towards her and grabbed her wrists, digging his claws in. "Laura was your best friend, she protected you from everyone and you didn't even care to call when you had the first feeling that something bad was going to happen."

"Derek," she warned.

His claws retracted and he shook his head. "I thought we could trust you," he stated as he walked towards the entrance of the house. Evelyn sat down and rubbed her wrists, healing the wounds.

"Derek I didn't kill her," Evelyn yelled. He paused and turned towards her.

"Maybe not but by doing nothing, you helped."

❀❀❀