Unitedly (chapter twenty four)

notes: im sorry, its been a while, stuff just got busy for a bit. hopefully ill get back into it, and ill try and keep up with daily or at least every second day updates! thank you all again for the support, i really appreciate it <3 

'Ugh,' you groan as you slowly regain consciousness. The bright light of the morning is blinding, and you blink slowly, trying to let your eyes adjust to it. You reach up, prodding the back of your head. You wince as you feel over a massive lump on the back of your head. That motherfucker gave me a concussion. You roll over slowly onto your back, until you're staring up at the ceiling. Shit. What am I going to do? you think, remembering what Aonung said last night. You frown sourly. He can't keep me away from Tsireya. And how will he know, anyway? We'll just stay out of his way. You sigh, stretching, and remembering how Ronal tried to keep you two separated. It's not happening again, you think determinedly.

* * *

'So what do you want to do?' you ask Tsireya. She's glowering and pacing up and down, clearly pissed off at her brother. You lower your head, smiling slightly. She doesn't notice, still pacing angrily. 'Look, I'm not going to stop spending time with you,' she says abruptly, stopping to look at you. 'I thought you might say that,' you reply, grinning. You shrug casually. 'We'll just have to avoid him. He won't know.' Tsireya grins, grabbing your hands and spinning you in a circle. 'Okay,' she says happily. Her face sours and she stops spinning. 'Once all of this is sorted out, I'm going to beat his ass.' You giggle. Tsireya frowns at you, but you shrug, determined to not let Aonung ruin spending time with her. 'If you're unhappy, you're giving in to him,' you say, and she thinks for a second, nodding. 'Okay. So we're just going to pretend he never said anything?' she asks, raising her eyebrows. 'I guess. But we have to be more careful,' you confirm. She nods.

Out of the corner of your eye, you spot movement, and realise there's someone hiding behind a marui pod, watching you. 'Shit, he's watching,' you whisper. I underestimated how much effort he's willing to put into this, you think, disgusted. Tsireya goes to look, and you grab her shoulders, looking straight into her eyes. 'Look at me.' She nods, blushing. You hide your smirk. Now's not the time. 'We can't let him know that we spotted him, okay? So when I walk away, act like I broke up with you.' Her face hardens, and you see her resign herself. 'Okay.' You let your hands slip from her shoulders, dropping your head. 'Pretend I broke up with you just then,' you mumble, your head hanging low. You stand there for a second, in the silence; you don't look at Tsireya's face, instead turning and walking away. You don't look back.

* * *

Later that night, you meet up with Tsireya. It's much later than you usually meet, because you both know that Aonung probably expects you to sneak out together. Also, instead of meeting at the cliff, like normal, you're seated under the large roots of a mangrove tree at the edge of the forest. You look up at the dark roots of the tree overhead, carving the sky into a stained glass window of midnight blue shards. Yet it still doesn't compare to Tsireya's beauty, you think, just as you hear her approach. You look up, and have to hold yourself back from gasping as you see her. Her arms are tucked behind her back, her hair falling effortlessly over her shoulders like a draped sheet. You meet her gaze, and see the stars glimmering in her eyes, reflecting against their ocean blue, shining like mirrorballs. Your mouth curves into a gentle smile as she sits next to you, taking your hand. The physical contact jolts you out of your reverie. I still can't believe she's mine.

She reaches over, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear, and you shiver at her touch. She tilts her head softly, her eyes concerned. 'It's nothing,' you mumble, your words clumsy. Did I forget how to speak or something? you think, embarrassed, as she grins, amused. You blush, looking away. She reaches out a hand to cup your chin, turning your face back to hers. You look up at her, your eyes wide as they meet hers. Your eyes slide over her face, admiring her glowing freckles, before your gaze lands back on hers. She strokes your face with her thumb, her expression still as she leans in. The touch of her lips against yours feels like you've never kissed her before; she tastes sweet, like the memory of the first time you kissed, your hands in her hair, the sea breeze light over your bodies pressed together. 

Her hands slip behind your head, and your hands reach down to cup her hips, pulling her closer. You kiss her harder, and her hands slide over your shoulders, ranging over your body as yours do the same. And you feel free; you feel like you've forgotten that Aonung ever said anything at all. When I'm next to her, everything's okay, you think, smiling against her mouth as she leans against you. The warmth of her body is comforting; and you're drunk on her kisses, feeling like the world is spinning when her lips meet yours.

Eventually, she's lying on your stomach, her legs outstretched next to yours. You lean against a massive root, your hands holding hers. 'You know, we have so much time,' you say quietly, looking down at her face. Her eyes meet yours, and she smiles slowly. 'I know.' You sigh, moving one of your hands to fiddle with her hair. 'I just wish it wasn't so difficult,' she whispers, you barely able to hear her. You look down at her, seeing her eyes filled with sadness. 'I'm sorry,' you murmur, stroking her hair. 'I just wish...' she trails off. And then you sit in silence, the mood somber, until you have to go.