𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 6

We were standing at different spots around the perimeter of the school. To my left, I could see a figure crouching behind a bush, which was Freddy. To my right I could see Laura perched on the branches of a tree.

Originally it was just meant to be Laura and I, better yet just me, but she'd convinced me that the others knew about the binders and they deserved to know what was going on.

"Try not to burn the tree down," I whispered to her.

"Oh shut up."

"Les, are you sure the person's going to be here?" Freddy asked.

"That's what the note said," I replied. "Keep your voice down, I hear something."

"Antawan, this is getting ridiculous. We need the boy—" the voice of an old woman argued.

"What I need is more time," the voice of Headmaster Killian countered. "We'll get the boy soon. I have eyes on him."

"Swear on it. It's been years, I need to know you're not going to postpone this again—"

"I want this done more than anything, Lilith, don't you dare question me," he growled. "I have the boy in my sights, we'll have him soon."

"Hm."

"He's telling the truth, Lilith. We have Isabelle listening in on his every word, and I think I finally got through to him," said Mr Romulus. His eyes were darting left and right. Finally, he caught sight of me and seemed to relax.

"Can you give me a date on when you plan to send him to me?" Lilith asked.

"I already told you we need to wait until he's at least seventeen," he responded exasperatedly.

"The other one?"

"We still haven't chosen. It's between the Fiera and the— someone's watching us..."

I couldn't breathe. I dared a glance at him and noticed a yellow canary chirping excitedly to a girl wearing a white blouse and a pink skirt.

Ms Willows tilted her head, "Search the area, Sunny. Don't let them get away."

"Back door," Mr Romulus mouthed urgently.

"Something wrong, Vincent?" Killian asked.

"Nothing, Antawan."

"Let's go," I mouthed to Laura. Silently, she slipped down from her tree. Freddy left the bushes and we made our way to Micah and Paris who were listening from the back.

"Here," Paris whispered, pushing the back door open and letting us go through.

"Drastakyas," Laura whispered, trying to catch her breath.

"Let's get back to our dorms," Freddy said shakily.

"At least we know who else they want," Micah said, exchanging a glance with Laura.

"And we know when they plan to take me," I said.

"They might take you sooner and keep you until you turn seventeen," Paris said. "This is really bad..."

....::::**•°✾°•**::::....

Mr Romulus regarded me with his finger intertwined.

"Now do you believe me?" he asked in barely a whisper. "These are the stakes at hand, Lesley, trust me when I say he will hunt you down and as soon as he does he will take over all of mage kind, tearing the hierarchy down tier by tier until the only thing that remains are him and his supporters." His eyes bore into mine. "Now, tell me what you know about the Legion.