3: The Last Thing

It was already printed and carved in Leni's mind since her late husband left, that the last thing she should do was pine over someone.

She convinces herself that maybe, maybe she always thought so much of Risa because she's not that busy nowadays, it was one of those rare moments that the Office of the Vice President is on a downtime. Don't get their office wrong. It's just that they are not that busy, that's why Leni is currently sitting on her chair– reminiscing about yesterday.

"Ah so type mo si Leni? If ever?"

"Naman."

Leni started to question herself. Maybe it's her own fault that she was thinking of Risa so much, because she thought of her so much; maybe she had unconsciously put Risa on such a high mental pedestal that she could do nothing but think constantly of that little ball of sunshine that has a cute eyesmile. Oh maybe not so little.

Leni reached for the stack of papers that was on her table to review and revise what's needed.

And when her mind invariably wandered back to Risa, she would concentrate and think only of Risa's most human flaws and not at all of her golden perfection– Makulit siya. Hindi marunong mag chopstick. Clumsy. Ayaw nya ng olives sa pizza. Leni mumbled as she convinces herself that Risa has a lot of flaws that she didn't like while she was turning the pages of the papers that she's signing for their partnerships with private sectors.

After hours of convincing herself that thinking of Risa is normal for friends, it worked.

Or sort of.

She was in the middle of playing her favorite game when her mind went back to Risa again as she remembered how she would peep at her phone whenever she's playing wordscapes when they are together.

"Love," Risa poked her.

She turns her head to Risa, "Ris, why are you calling me that.. Hindi.. mo naman ako jowa."

"Ha? Love nga. Love. Try mo. 'Yan 'yung last word kasi. L-O-V-E." said Risa, grinning.

She entered the said word and the game proceeded to the next level, "See? Nasa harapan mo na, di mo pa nakita. Ang tagal mo tuloy sa level na 'yan." Risa playfully glared.

Leni didn't realize that she was already smiling when she thought Risa was calling her love that day. Ay ano ba 'yan. The vice president's train of thought got interrupted when a text message notification popped up.

Sen. Risa Hontiveros
Lens!! I will say yes na to his invite for a dinner tonight. He's a great guy naman daw sabi ni Kaka.

That was the moment Leni knew she had to stop pinning over Risa as she felt a pang of pain in her heart by just thinking of her, her little ball of sunshine, going on a date again with someone when Leni is supposed to be supportive of her friend. She didn't know how, but she knew she needed to stop.

Unless..

The last time she checked, she's not the type of person who acts first before thinking. As much as possible, every decision that she will make, she would think of it over and over again if it's the right thing to do before finally doing it. That's what she did when she ran for Congress and before saying yes to be the vice presidential candidate of the Liberal Party.

But when it comes to Risa Hontiveros.. maybe she's the only exception.

Leni started to type her reply as fast as she could, as if her life depended on it.

No. Don't go with him. I'll treat you to lunch and dinner everyday, Ris. Just don't go with him.