one

these same four walls make me insane. it's been a week since i was admitted to stay in hospital for my cancer treatment. i was diagnosed a couple months ago and my whole world turned.

first was disbelief. i carried on with my studies and the parties. i drank way too much and that resulted in me going hospital.

next was depression. i wouldn't leave my room for days. i refused to go to school, to hang out with friends, to even see my dad.

next was acceptance. i accepted i had cancer and decided to fight. i wanted to live. i needed to live. for my dad.

my dad and my mom broke up last year. he is still in a bad shape. he was in love with her since he was a kid.

anyway, after my mum left, he slowly stopped caring in life. he's getting better now, at least, i hope he is.

he visits every day. he always brings my rootbeer and always brings a new candle for me every week. this week was pink sands.

i decide to walk around, holding onto my rail that hangs with my drip. as i walk, a stupid boy walks into me, nearly knocking me over but he catches onto me.

"you should really look where you're going around a hospital. you know, lotta fragile people here." i say, gesturing to my gown.

"i'm sorry. are you alright?" he asks, worried he hurt me, and i nod, holding onto my rail again.

"yes. are you?" i ask and he nods with a light chuckle.

"good. i'm hazel." i say, offering my hand

"matthew. but my friends call me matt." he responds and i nod, shaking his hand. he runs his hand through his hair and looks to his left.

"i gotta go. but, i hope to see you again." he says, as he walks backwards to his left.

"you know where to find me. and look where you're going!" i say with a smile to which he returns and meets back up with two other boys who look alike to him.

i walk through and through until i find myself at the baby section. i look through the window of rows of babies.

"hey, zel. you ready for your next treatment?" nurse mary asks and i look to her and nod.

we go to the chemotherapy room and i sit, thinking of the boy. matt. his name is matt.

his eyes were so blue, much more blue than the sea and the sky combined. the type of blue you can look at forever and never get bored. the type that you can't stop thinking of. that piercing blue is now my favourite colour.