Chapter 10

Aerea sat slumped in her chair after dinner, watching her brothers excuse themselves to sneak off for a dragon ride, leaving her behind with their parents and Leo.

"Ser Leo, are you aware of who the king is?" Daemon narrowed his eyes while he refilled his wine cup.

Leo grinned. "King Viserys Targaryen."

"And who has the king declared as his heir?" He took a slow gulp of his wine, never breaking eye contact with the man.

"The Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen, mother to her heir, the Princess Aerea Velaryon. Any other lines of succession you'd wish to quiz me on, Prince Daemon?" Leo cocked his head and flashed an arrogant grin, which in turn made Daemon burst into laughter.

"I apologize for my husband's interrogation. It's just that our family has faced many threats over the year and we've only just met you. Now you're to marry our daughter." Rhaenyra straightened in her seat, eyeing her daughter and her betrothed cautiously. "So you can understand our hesitation."

"I understand, Princess Rhaenyra. But I can assure you, no harm will come to your daughter or family on my behalf. She is...like a sister to me." He winked down at Aerea. Her cheeks flushed and eyes fell to her lap as she fidgeted with her fingers. "You have my word."

Aerea excused herself and practically ran from her mother's chambers. Her mind was running all over the place at Leo's words. He was her family practically and it only reminded her of the loss she experienced months ago with his brother. She hurried down the halls and found her way into the dragonpits where her brothers had just mounted theirs.

"Wait, let me come with you!" Aerea called out but they all just laughed. "Dammit, Luke! Let me on!"

"Sorry, sister! Brothers only tonight!" Jace laughed as Aerea's jaw dropped with a scoff. "We'll all go riding tomorrow, I promise! Just not tonight!"

She crossed her arms and cocked her hip as they flew out and disappeared into the skies. Cursing her brothers, she kicked the dirt and turned only to be faced with an amused Aemond.

"Your precious brothers left you all behind?" He smirked, causing her to suck at her teeth and cross her arms.

"No, I was just seeing that they left safely." She huffed.

"Liar." He chuckled. She pressed her lips into a tight line as she glared up at him. He extended his hand with a smug smile. "If you wish to fly, you need only ask."

"I do not wish to take flight on a stolen dragon." She swatted his hand away.

"A dragon I paid a price for, need I remind you." He clenched his jaw, walking past her.

"Oh did you lose an eye? I hadn't heard anything of it." She teased, causing him to turn back to face her with his eye blackened with fury.

"Aerea! Aerea! Where are you?!" Leo's voice rang from down the halls, causing Aerea to look towards the entrance. When she turned back to Aemond, he was already disappearing into the darkness of the pits to retrieve Vhagar.

"Aemond, wait!" She called out, picking up her skirts to run after him. "Fine, may I ride Vhagar with you?"

"Nope. I've changed my mind." He said calmly, picking up his pace.

"Aemond!" She hissed just as she was passing him. He turned and grabbed her, pulling her close to his chest as Vhagar came into view screaming. He held onto her tightly while she held tightly onto his tunic and shut her eyes.

"Dohaeris, Vhagar! Lykiri! Lykiri!" He held his hand up to Vhagar and she settled her snout right in front of him. He looked down at Aerea who had her face buried in his chest and eyes shut tightly while she tried to breathe. "Are you insane?!"