stormnight

"Charles, I'm worried about Charlotte. She hasn't danced with anyone, appears completely introverted." Mrs Heywood's eyes searched for her daughter, but with so many people in the room, she had lost sight of her.

"This started a while ago," her husband agreed.

"Something's up with her, I'm sure there's a very specific reason for her brooding..." Mrs Heywood glanced furtively at the reason she thought likely.

"Yes." Returned her husband with a grin.

She followed Mr Parkers gaze and saw her daughter pushing through the people, a child on each hand. "I don't want her to be unhappy."

"No one wants that."

Sidney would have loved to say those words too, but refrained. He was not allowed to interfere in this conversation. Even though he was only a few steps away from them, the conversation about their daughter seemed too private for him to jump in and tell them that their daughter was afraid to be forced into a marriage and about to run away. He clenched his jaw and followed Charlotte with his gaze to a table where she helped the children to drink, but then quickly disappeared back into the crowd like a wave kissing the shore.

"Maybe it's because of him." Sidney heard Mr Heywood whisper. Trying to find out if her father was looking at someone specific he searched his employers face, but he had his eyes back on his wife.

A bitter taste was suddenly on Sidney's tongue, his heart seemed to contract as involuntarily as his hands. He knew what it was. Jealousy. Unmistakable, bitter jealousy of the man who was causing Charlotte grief on top of her wanderlust.

Sidney moved away from her parents to stop listening and also because he wanted to take a few steps further in her direction. To dance with her would give him the possibility to start a conversation about her parents' plan and everything would be fine. Even when she refused to dance with him, it would be better to get closer. In this moment, she was leaning against the wall in the shadows. Although she was so pale and her hair gave the impression that she had already slept, he found her absolutely beautiful.

Their eyes met again and despite the shortness, he recognised in hers a stubborn determination alongside all her grief. And disappointment that she seemed to hold out to him like a shield. Still he continued to stroll towards her, unfortunately missing the rest of the conversation.

"Most certainly so." At the words, Mrs Heywood smiled in Mr Parker's direction, who stared at her daughter with furrowed brows, before averting his gaze and diving deeper into the dancing crowd. What would the young man say if he knew he was part of this conversation?

"He wouldn't presume to court her." Mr Heywood said thoughtfully. "not now."

"Yes, he's an honourable person." sighed Mrs Heywood.

She was sure that Mr Parker would not court their daughter until he had the resources to offer her a proper home. Surely, he would not want Charlotte to live in the workers' cottages. If they were at all correct in their assumption that the two of them had feelings for each other that went deeper than a little flirtation. But the way Mr Parker looked at her daughter, talking about her with that special rough tone in his voice, she would put her hand in the fire for that.

It was even more obvious with Charlotte. She had never acted so shyly towards a man before. The few times the family had had the pleasure of dining with Mr Parker, she had watched her daughter closely. How she seemed to soak up every word he said, trying to impress him with her clever answers. But no sooner had their eyes locked, she had fallen silent and blushed. Had nervously fiddled with her hair or smoothed out her dress, always anxious to look neat. Which until then she had always been completely indifferent to.