Chapter 1

"So how was last night's party, baby girl?"

I asked my grumpy best friend, she's never a morning person!

"Don't start with me Alex. I am having a damn headache."

"Counter top to the left. I put in 2 Advil and water there already."

"Oh God thank you, you're the best."

I just rolled my eyes at her, typical Anne Evans.

"Yeah, yeah. I know, breakfast is in the microwave, dig in."

She looked at me like I just grown another head.

"What?"

"Who are you? What did you do to my fucking best friend?! Give her back, NOW!"

Oh, did I mention that she's a drama queen too? NO? Well, she is.

"Shut up, Anne. It's still me. I just woke up a little early and I decided to cook. Can't you just say, 'thank you,' and eat?"

"Don't be a bitch."

"I always am! Anyway, I'm going to stay at the cafe to read my books. Are you coming?"

"What? This early?"

"It's already 11 in the morning, Anne. It's not early!"

"Oh, so I woke up late!"

"You always do! I have to go, are you coming?"

"I'll be there in a few, I love you."

"Okay, I love you, too."

Yeah, I know. My best friend can be a handful sometimes but hey, she's all I've got. Okay, maybe not literally. I do have friends too, you know, but Anne and I grew up together. She knows everything about me, my family, and my deepest darkest secrets. We actually are like sisters. Between the two of us, she is the partying type - the more outgoing one. Did I mention she own her own clothing line? She majored in Business and later took fashion designing. Saying she's good at what she does is an understatement. Her family owns banks, and her mother used to be a model; so maybe that explains it. She embraced it all but it's her brother, Matthew, who runs the banks.

Me, on the other hand... well I'm the only daughter. I honestly think that they regret not having another child since I never wanted to be a part of the family business. You see, my parents are what people somehow called, "loaded." Some might even think that that label's an understatement. My family owns most (if not all) the hotels, and resorts in the country... and some in other countries, too. To be brutally honest, I don't know what else we own because as far as I know, it is my parents money and not mine. They built it, not me! That's why I am making a life of my own; a life I am passionate about - helping people, curing sickness, and just taking care of them the best way I can.

Yes, I am a doctor by profession. How my parents allowed me to be one? I don't know! They just of course, supported me. I'm their only daughter, for crying out loud. As if they have a choice?!

So here I am in my favorite coffee shop, which is more like my second home since I stay here most of the time. The plus points in that? I already have a reserved table only for me! God, I love the people here.

"Hey, Charles!" I greeted the barista.

"Hey Lex! A little late today are we?"

"Nah, I'm taking a lazy day but I realized it's not really for me."

"Are you taking the usual Dark Chocolate Mocha with Hazelnut?"

"Yup, you know me!" I playfully wink at him at the same time handing my card.