Prologue

This world is extremely harsh on men for no reason. 

"Fine! I will be a soldier! But I won't marry your friend!" I stared at my stepmother Zola, she looked so smug drinking her tea. She coldly stared at me with her evil witch-green eyes. 

That old hag was trying to get me killed already, and on top of that, I have to marry some fifty-year-old woman with seven past marriages?

"She's the daughter of a court noble and has served the royal family faithfully for a long time." Her eyes darted to my father, who looked down with clenched fists. "As the third man in this household, you must work for your family!"

"Oh, I'll work alright, but I won't marry your friend." Her cold stare became a heated glare very quickly, "Isn't it better this way? If I die as a soldier the compensation goes straight to the family rather than some woman." I got up from the table. 

Zola thought about it for a few seconds, I left her there, turned around, and walked out of the room. 

My name is Leon Fou Bartfort, or at least it is now. That's right, I was sent to this world by some higher power for some unknown reason. It happened when this body was young.  

One day I woke and just had glimpses of a different past. 

Maybe I'm just gullible, but I thought it was the truth, it was so vivid. 

The dream of your average guy going about his life. 

Men have to fight for the country as soldiers but hold no authority. Women hold the power, they get to stay back without doing anything while the men fight and die endlessly. Furthermore, men have to find a marriage partner early so that they aren't forced to marry someone like I am being forced to.

My case is a bit special because normally one would go to the academy and try to find a partner there. But the family I was born to, the Bartforts are a poor baron family that can't afford to send more than two sons to the academy, and I happen to be the third.

 I have six siblings... well actually I only consider four of them to even be siblings. Two of them are Zola's children, and I don't particularly get along with them.

Not that I get along with my other siblings either. 

My two brothers are pretty much the only siblings I feel I actually have. My older brother, Nicks is in the academy trying his luck with finding a wife. 

Jenna and Finley were my sisters. They were too busy being with Zola to care about me and my brothers. Much like the 'legitimate' children of Zola's, they lived in her mansion far from our house. 

I strutted to my room and started packing my things -- I didn't have a lot. A knife father gave me when I turned seven, two articles of clothing and that was it... 

Should I bring my pillow? was a thought that went through my head. My bag was feeling kind of empty. All the moving must have made a lot of noise because I woke up the person sleeping in my bed.

"Brother, where are you going?" Colin, my younger brother looked at me. He had a cute face, though a little thin. He looked a lot like me, with messy black hair, and the same shape of eyes and nose. The only distinction was the eye color. Colin had black eyes, while I had blue. 

I put my hand on my brother's head. I ruffled his head, "You're gonna have to be tough Colin," I told him grabbing the small bag of things I had. "I'm going out to be a soldier."

"A soldier?!" Colin bolted out of the bed and wrapped his thin arms around my legs, "You can't brother! Soldiers die all the time! You can't! They fight big dangerous monsters!"