Ch.1 | Mission of the Duke

I was in the audience with the king and queen. 

Long flowy blue hair and eyes, he stared down at me as I kneeled. Meanwhile, the woman next to him had long silky silver hair and a beautiful pair of blue eyes.

Not like mine, which had an ominous glow. Hers had a shine to them that made them beautiful to look at. 

I lowered my head, looking up at the king would be considered rude, right?

"My husband says that you have dutifully served this country, and after looking through your progress reports, I must concur." I rose my head and stared at the queen, wondering where she was going with this. 

She slowly walked down to where I was and snapped her finger. Immediately, a knight in the giant throne room came running with a pillow in his hands. On the pillow was an ornate sword full of jewels.

"Please recite the Knight's Oath of fealty." The queen unsheathed the sword, revealing a beautiful white blade with no impurities. The handle was still full of jewels, so I couldn't imagine that being a good weapon. 

"I don't understand your royal highness. What have I deserved to be knighted?" All I did was invade an enemy camp and kill everyone there. That's hardly something worth praise. I was actually surprised she didn't want to admonish me for prioritizing the lives of the men on the assault team rather than the mission itself.

"Bartfort, were you not given information about the place you invaded?" The queen knit her eyebrows. I must have looked really confused because she answered before I could. "Our intel informed us, that the camp you destroyed was a terrorist camp with plans to blow up the royal palace. They had spies infiltrated this very castle as maids. They would have succeeded were it not for your efforts."

I had no idea. I just didn't want to die.

"Regardless of your motives. What you have done saved the kingdom, as a reward such as this is to be expected. If you could please give the oath, we are all busy people, personally, I have to meet with my brother-in-law for tea this evening."

I complied.

"I promise on my faith that I will in the future be faithful to the lord, never cause him harm, and will observe my homage to him completely against all persons in good faith and without deceit." I recited while kneeling down. The queen tapped the side of the blade on both my shoulders.

"Then, I declare you, Leon Fou Bartfort, a Knight of this country. You may rise." I looked up and pushed myself up from the kneeling position. I was slightly taller than her. The queen looked at one of the many knights around the room, one of them got a sword from his back, an extra one, and handed it to me. "Take it and serve your kingdom dutifully." 

I gave a curt nod and grabbed the sword with both hands.

"Before I dismiss you, Bartfort," the queen had an intense and serious stare. "I must ask, would you like me to decrease the number of assignments coming your way?" 

It was natural for someone who had just been knighted to want to take it easy for a little bit, after all climbing the social ladder gave you certain benefits.

"Your royal highness, if possible I would rather you gave me harder quests with bigger rewards." The queen looked at me with some furrowed eyebrows, like I had made her uncomfortable. Regardless, I was still a long way from being able to afford Colin's school.

"Very well, I shall see to it, you should have what you desire soon enough. I dismiss you, Sir Bartfort."

I left the throne room and immediately went to the soldier barracks.