||Former Days, Former Lives|| Yangchen

I woke up after anther rough night of sleep and looked out the small window of my room at the temple and saw a beautiful morning sky, there  were lots of young air nomads around my age playing out side practicing  their gliding through the clouds in the sky. I thought about the visions that keep me up, the destructive winds, the raging fire, the sound of earthquakes, the fierce waves of the ocean and that dreadful white glow. I've told the elders about them and they keep telling me it's fine but I can tell they think something is wrong. I got up, got ready for the morning and went out to play. I greeted my friends but my time with them was short.

"Yangchen, please come with us, we must speak with you"

 I turned around to see a group of five elders including Monk Setam, my mentor. A wave of fear washed over me when I saw the serious expression on there faces. The nomads always looked so cheerful and had a pleasant feel overall, but this was different. They led me to a room and sat me down. 

"We need to discuss something of great importance"

 The elder pushed his hand forward forward and a small cloth glided through the air and landed in front of me, With the slightest movement of his hand the cloth unraveled itself to reveal some items. 

"Do you remember these?" 

I quickly recognised the items from when I was a child. 

"Of course, these are some of my favourite toys from when I was little"

 I picked one up and smiled at the happy memories it brought. 

"All of these are the avatar relics, you chose these toys from among thousands."                                        

There was a short pause 

"You chose these toys because they belonged to your past lives. Yangchen, you are the avatar"

I was hit with a wave of silence whilst the elders waited for my response. 

"m-me... the avatar? But how, how do you know its definitely me"

"You chose the avatar relics, no one else has ever chose them apart from the avatar"

I was left speechless, my head filled with question that I couldn't comprehend. 

"Your visions, did you have another one?"

 There was a loud silence, I was lost in my thoughts and didn't hear the elder speaking

"Yangchen!?" I snapped out of my trance 

"Did you have another vision?"

"yes, they're all the same. All I ever see are the four elements... and that scary man with white eyes staring at me. It never stops" I cried out. 

One of the elders spoke up. "We shouldn't have told her. Look at her she's scared out of her mind, She's only eleven!" 

Four of the elders agreed and began to talk among them selves whilst my mentor, Monk Setam came and sat next to me.

"It will be fine, you might feel afraid now but being the Avatar is a privilege. Not many people get to experience that."

She stood me up and we left the other elders to talk amongst them selves.